Hindu contribution to civilization
Via Nizhal's blog
Muslim Contribution to civilization,
In short, this article is by a Muslim critical of Muslim backwardness.
Since this blog is about exploration of among other thing my heritage which is essentially Hindu,
Let me ask a question
What is Hindu contribution to civilization in past 100/200/300/400 years.
Answer is outside of philosophy and spirituality, not much.
And lest some one defend this as due to invasions and colonialism , I will like to reply that it is because of decline we were vanquished, I have come to this idea by reading Guru Aurobindo's article and I am still working out the details.
And why is that we are not able to contribute now ?
Lack of idea, we are so seduced by secularism that we treat Hinduism as heritage structure, thing of past, beautiful but no functional value. Which is why Hinduism resembles more and more a broken clock.
This is not intended to establish moral equivalence , but a plea to set our bench marks higher,
Why not compare ourselves with Jews , who have withstood all the onslaughts only to come out stronger.
What is the way out of this stagnation ? As I have said before India has the presence of positive force which is required for regeneration and that is presence of religion (spirituality for weasels),
but we have forgotten that.
This reminds me of the episode in Ramayan when Bhagwan Hanuman has to cross the sea and he is plagued by doubt, His confidence returns and He is able to cross the sea only when "Jambwant" the bear reminds Him of His greatness. We need a "Jambwant" today.

5 comments:
Ok i am not a hindu in fact i am a muslim and i must disagree with you. Hindus have done a lot for civilization. Astronomy and mathmatics have seen huge contributions from hindus. also the arts have been greatly influenced by hindus from sculpture, and archetecture to music and dance. and the food is fantastic.
and now more and more hindus are contributings to the sciences.
Edward sadly that is the past.
When I said about Hindu contribution I meant exactly that, Indian scientist are working presently but that can not be called a Hindu contribution exactly because the system is western.
Regards
Gaurav, in that sense how western is western science? Negative numbers and operations involving them, trigonometry, linguistics etc. they use are anyway from India; and several things they use are from various countries all over the world. And it is not as if the ancient Indians did not borrow things from outside either. Do you expect them to write verses based on Aryabhateeya etc.? Moreover, atleast in south Indian music the most profound contributions have been between during the late 18th and early 19th century.
I think the current left-liberal and western style of studying heritage is destructive. I am kind of pained with the western attitude of equating culture with food, drink etc. which I think contributes to people looking at heritage trivially - a thing of the past without functionality.
Regards and happy new year to you too.
Frog, Jaffna and BangloreGuy,
Thank you for discussion.
I have realized that I did not make my point clearer, this exchange has given me ammo for further post(s).
Regards
Vinayak,
Thanks for comments,
What happend to Gudiya was sad indeed this is the price we pay for making poltical correctness a fetish.
Fortunately unlike Shankaracharya who was not supported by public,
Baba Ramdev has full support of public and Brinda Karat is going to end up with lots of egg on her face.
Regards
Post a Comment