Citizens of the world
First Arundhati Roy, now Amit Varma.
The only reason that I can surmise behind them not leaving hellhole like India and migrating to utopian states of Saudi Arab or Uganda must be their immeasurable compassion for ignoramuses i.e. Indians. Ofcourse one would have thought that common courtesy demanded a certain respect for country they live in, however since both communism and libertarianism claim higher truth, they are not bounded by common courtesies. So it is immaterial that countless freedom fighters died to gain independence which these wise ladies and gentlemen use to spit on the country. It is also immaterial that even today our soldiers risk their life to guard this freedom.
"Since I am a libertarian/communist therefore I have a halo, soldiers are paid to do what they are doing, and I don’t think India is any different from Islamic Republic of Pakistan or People Republic of China, and since I have a fetish for rationalism and do not give a hoot for irrational things like gratitude, therefore for me nation is at best a worthless concept, at worst a conspiracy to invade my personal space."
Such ingrates!

9 comments:
There are also people who consider themselves misfit in India and are staying and leading a wretched miserable life only because they don't have an option to leave :-))
Jaffna,
While These people do have Self Loathing as common with Marxist,
they do not neccessarily follow agree with Economic and Soical theories of Marx.
But for the most part they fall on the left side of political discourse and "roughly" can be called liberals
@Gaurav I think you are being a little bit unfair about liberals.
Perhaps the importance of our common humanity and the pursuit of justice is more important than man made borders and nation states with firm borders.I mean hints of secession drive people crazy whether in India or Pakistan or Turkey.This is not to deny that people want to live with thier on kind
History Lover,
I have always been unfair and Biased I am sorry if I gave indication to the contrary ;-)
I have no problem with common humanity and pursuit of Justice,
but there are some issues which You and I can not resolve (For example Liberia, Uganda).
Nations are man-made, So is society, so is Civilization, so is art.So this division between man-made and natural for me is self-defeating.
My criteria is do Nation fulfill some purpose. They do.
Are nations (or to be precise nation-states) eternal ? No ! But For any unity to happen there should be a confluence of idea among people world wide.
At risk of offending you let me say that I can not agree with Saudi Arabi or Pakistan
Regards
Gaurav, I don't see where Amit spits on his country, as you put it. He merely states his non-patriotism, which simply means that he does not have any special, particular love for the concept of 'India'. It does not mean that he hates India, as you mistakenly infer.
Rahul K
Even libertarians ( not just communists ) explicitly make statements disparaging India. There is a clear difference between the constructive criticism Gaurav etal make and the extremely cynical, contemptuous tone of the typical libertarian. If they were neutral why wouldn't they also write statements which positively praise India ( not in comparison with Taliban or Pakistan )?
Froginthewell, firstly, if some people who call themselves libertarian disparage India, that is no reason to disparage all libertarians or libertarianism itself.
Secondly, I've read Amit's blog for more than a year,and I've never seen him do that. Like Gaurav (Sabnis), he is constructively critical of Indian socialism, and big government, and with good reason.
Jaffna, I think Amit defines himself as a classical liberal, as many libertarians do,and that reflects itself in all his blogging.
Rahul K
I don't disparage all libertarians; and certainly not the philosophy of libertarianism. I don't remember reading Ravikiran disparage India per se, for instance ( I don't know his point of view on India, though ). And certainly not "libertarian" of Secular-right. I find Jaffna's point too appealing. But I find something like this distasteful. I will look for more explicit examples later.
Jaffna,
Liberalism is too broad a term and have all sorts of people in it.
The gentleman I quoted call himself liberal.
Rahul,
Call me fanatic, but I think if you can not love India, you should leave it. People like Amit Varma have no respect or regard for this country and I call this spitting.
Also I do not understand libertariasnism. I judge it by its adherents, Amit Varma is one and it is by his words that I hold opinion on libertarianism.
Regards
Post a Comment