Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Sen & Nonsense

The Indian history according to Mr Sen

.......... Asoka , a cool guy................... Akbar, again a dude,......................

Of course I am exaggerating, but not much.

I think the Argumentative Indian is easily one of the most over hyped work.

Mr Sen sets out from the beginning, not to discover or even elucidate about India of bygone era, but to reinterpret to suit progressive frame.

2 comments:

Sharan Sharma said...

If you get a chance you must read historian N.S.Rajaram's review of the book. Bang on.

Dr. Balram Singh of Univ. of Mass. says such people suffer from HEP : Hyper Expertize Problem. He also describes how in 2005 Dr. Sen gave a talk at Harvard, then went on to praise China under the cultural revolution and this is what happenned - the Wall street Journal editorial said:

"A Nobel Prize-winning economist spouts off, and a Chinese survivor sets him straight"

Currently commie/eurocentric fellows wail away that many Indian 'technical people' (read : scientisits, engineers etc) are getting into history. Apparently they shouldn't. That's not their area of expertize. But, of course, Amartya Sen can.

doubtinggaurav said...

Sharan,

I think varnam posted on that review. I do think that Dr Sen is overhyped too

Regards