Subsidizing haves:Clarification
I posted it as clarification for this post. On second thoughts I think it deserves a separate post.
1) Subsidies provide a more level playing field for talented but economically underprivileged people, who might otherwise not be able to afford the tuition in IIT.
"Economically Underprivileged" students get a fee waiver anyways,But subsidy I am talking about is general and apply to all the students.
The double quotes are important. The fee waiver (or Merit Cum Means ScholarShip as it is called) is a sham, There were many students belonging to rich families in my bacth who mis-used this.
But yes some sort of initiative incentive for poor students should be there and I am not contesting that, my question is why should I,who is not poor by any standard, be subsidized.
2)The govt has an option of having the grads work for them or in nation building.
3)What about having a compulsory stint for a year or two at a government lab or centre? That would ensure at least some contribution, and people who enjoy the work can continue.
4)if 1 out of 100 contribute "tangibly" to nation building.
First What is nation building ?
Does nation building means that every IIT graduate has to be a Mohan Bhargava and work in village?
My point is that if individuals are left to pursue their own ambitions it helps the whole society. Nation can progress only if the individuals are ambitious and enterprising.
And what good will it do if a IIT grad has to work in PWD or Mazgoan Docks. Ultimately however genuis an IIT graduate is it is useless to expect miracle from him in a dysfunctional and failed system which our government is.
5)Tax the NRI
May be, but what about people like me who remain in India ?Won't it be better if instead of subsidizing and taxing, there was no subsidy in the first place?
6) Is it very clear that the country doesn't get back the money in the form of tax or by other means?
7)An average IITian pays more in taxes every year than what was offered as subsidy by the Indian government during the 4 years of the course.
I would have gone to IIT even if I had to pay 5 times, I would have ended up in the same job and have paid the same taxes, so what is benefit of subsidy to tax payersIn fact by spending on me, government is failing to provide for clean water or primary education.

4 comments:
Good point. I suppose it is good as long as the subsidy is taken away only from the haves.
On a slightly different by related note : in Kerala there were huge uproars by leftists against self-financing engineering colleges, partly because the huge fee structure ( obviously - it is expensive to run engineering colleges ) would cause a discrimination between the haves and have-nots.
In U. S. education is
( naturally ) very expensive and students often arrange for that by loan or by serving in the army. I think that will also give them greater sense of responsibility ( as you know, most IITians are just care-free ).
Frog,
"As you know, most IITians are just care-free"
You mean irresponsible ? (Atleast that's what my professor told me) ;-)
Regards
Yes, I meant irresponsible. Sorry and Regards.
Irresponsibility is not a crime ;-)
So no sweat and Regards
Post a Comment