Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Coming out of closet......

This is a confession. I am different, have always been like that. It is only with great resolve that I am coming out of closet.

The realization that I was different, not normal, not with the crowd dawned very early when I was just a kid. People, including friends and relatives had reaction to my preference (which was far from common) ranging from amusement to suspicion and sometimes downright negativity.

As I grew up and realized the reason for the reactions, I became bewildered. How can I be blamed for something over which I had no control. But blamed I was, and much worse.
Even my mother was blamed for my abnormality. She took the blame and supported me, even though it was a strain but she did not let my lifestyle choice come in way of her love.

I grew up insecure and lonely being ridiculed and jeered at every step, not for what I had done, but for what I was.
Friends and relatives considered it normal interrogating a vulnerable child about why the way I was. Others asked why I was not ashamed of being a deviant, then there were others who claimed that just because this was not the "right" way I must be "crooked " and therefore to be avoided at all cost.

My stay at my ulma mater wasn't any better. Despite all the hype, alumni of my institution can be very insensitive.
For the four years I lived there, I was the "butt" of jokes and most abused toilet humour.
My professional life is more or less same, I am considered an oddity, someone who is not human.

But still even after being subjected to indignities and ridicule, I have never hidden my identity. I am what I am, and prejudice of ignorant mass can not change what I consider is right. It did however change some of my friends, one of my best friends VNS, who used to be different like me, was forced to give up his alternative lifestyle and be normal, few others hide for fear of retribution and injustice.
Every religion, every society in all the times have wronged and vilified us.
Ans yet noone hears our plight. We have been considered sinister and work of devil.

This is going to change !

On this blog, today I proudly proclaim that I am a south paw, and that is what I remain come what may.

3 comments:

doubtinggaurav said...

Jaffna,

It is one of the speculations.
For more info you may read the wiki article I linked to.

Regards

froginthewell said...

Did IIT guys make fun of you even after the ragging period?

doubtinggaurav said...

Jaffna,

In that case I am the exception, that is a minority within a minority ;-)

Frog,

No, I was taking ahemm poetic license.
Anyway IITs doesn't have ragging, we have OP (Orientation Period) or IP (Interaction Period) ;-)

Regards