Evolution, Faith, Reason & Existence - I
When life initially evolved, it was in form of organisms whose biology was not dependant on oxygen (understandable as there was hardly any free oxygen at that time) . Then around 2.7 billion years ago a new type of bacteria evolved which produced oxygen as a waste product of photosynthesis, after a time lag of 300 million years, delay possibly due to fixation of oxygen, the quantity of oxygen increased all of sudden in atmosphere. This event was disastrous for primitive life forms, oxygen almost acting as poison for them. Eventually however, life altered suitably and result was explosion of oxygen based life forms.
I like to believe that a similar upheaval, although at much smaller scale occurred, when life was able to contemplate itself. Prior to rise of conscious, life was simple, at least in sense of interaction, the rules of engagement decided by instinct. Predators chased, prey ran.
I picture the first such individual pondering over the meaning of existence. After the initial exhilaration over ability to explore has died down, desperation sets in.
Life was bewildered by the absence of any precedence to it. The device of duality, of subject and object, cause and effect with which consciousness viewed outside world failed when trained on itself.
Imagine the despair, on the one hand life is condemned to eternity of being bastardised, and on the other hand decomposition awaited it. The end was there but just like the beginning devoid of purpose, and this eventuality of mortality was more terrible. This dilemma could drive the newly formed mind crazy, instead life being more resilient became delusional.
It invented origin(God, Brahman) and end (Salvation, Moksha). Thus it continued evolving. To manage growth it formalised rules which were driven by instincts as morality. It is to be noted that morality can not be universal because management of evolution is imprecise and dependant on the context further morality is merely a formal notation devised for sake of manageability of something which is essentially product of instincts, it is not cause of faith, nor its object. At any rate life continued existing. Also evolved reasoning as a formal subject.
But yet another upheaval occurred, reason outgrew the framework of faith. Once more struggle ensued with the result that faith was more or less dismantled. Now life is without shield of faith and once more faces its metaphysical illegitimacy.
This is where rationalists err, they spend their effort on discovering basis for morality according to reason, where morality is anchored in instincts where it should be the last thing to bother about. Meanwhile life is once again exposed to corrosive effect of existential dilemma. Survival of life will depend on the future evolution to account for reason. Life will mutate and adapt to reason, what will be the new face of evolution, perhaps this ?

2 comments:
I like your posts. I responded to one on secularism as anon. my name is Nikhil. I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make here though. Nietzsche says questions of mysticism and spirituality are by no means deep. In fact, they are "not even superficial." I am not sure if this is relevant. Also the point about genetics reminds me of extrapolations of social Darwinism from a theory of evolution, like you point out, has to do with the natural selection of genes over hundreds, sometimes thousands of years. And then existence preceding essence.. I agree with all that you say, but am not sure how it all links up. A work-in-progress perhaps? or maybe I just didn't read carefully enough.
Nikhil,
It is WIP,
Stay tuned :-)
Regards
PS. Nietzhche happens to be the only philospher whom I have read.
Find him intellectually invigrating
Post a Comment