Friday, June 08, 2007

Meaning of life - I

(Related posts [1],[2])

Survival of any species is independent of sense of purpose, that is, except humans.
In realm of beasts, survival of the fittest, this rule defines the complete domain of their interactions. On the other hand, humans can reason, or to put in other words, rationalize.

While this may be useful for daily life, after a certain point, a man who is part of a society, begins to inquire the reason for his own existence, so much so that this become the most important question, one which if remains unanswered can consume civilization in a frenzy, much like Yaksha Prashna, consumed the Pandavas.

Tragically purpose behind existence is beyond logic or reason or deduction (which means science of any kind).

Combining both,

Some purpose, which transcends human reason, must be assumed.

Being modest I call it Gaurav's first wager.*

Of course we can paraphrase as much as we want, but in end it boils down to what I wrote. Refusal to assume is just plain denial and silliness.

2 comments:

Ritwik said...

Can't survuival and dominace themselves be the purpose?

doubtinggaurav said...

They dont explain self existence.