Saturday, November 26, 2005

Death of Manjunathan: Misplaced priorities ?

I was dismayed (distressed?) by the gruesome murder of Manujathan,
For more than one reason

First He was a human.
Second Grief to his mother and father which can neither be described nor imagined.
Third He was a honest man and was killed for doing his duty.
Fourth He was a young man and had much more promise.
Fifth He was in the place I is my home, so in a manner of speaking he was my guest .
Sixth He belonged to same group as me (ie IIT/IIM, although he was not IIT and I am not IIM).

I wanted that this matter be investigated and culprits (which may include government officials)be brought to justice and dealt by law in as severe way as possible.

Considering my own anger and chagrin I can not fault media and people for saying what they are saying, which is (explicitly or implicitly),

1) His murder is more reprehensible than ordinary cases as he is from IIM.
2) Here is a honest IIM/IIT alumni staying in country instead of going to Amreeka and see thats what ingrates do to him.

I have this to say about above.

First
His murder is as reprehensible as murder of any other honest and hardworking man.
murdered for his uprightness while doing his duty.
We should be equally enraged for countless people who have been killed because they chose not to give in to intimidation.
Sadly I do not think this will happen.

Second

If you wish to emigrate, please do (I will do so if given a chance even if temporarily)
However if you choose to stay in India it means you are taking a decision considering the reality.

The reality is that India is a very disturbed place.
Naxalites, Jihadis, North- East Terrorrists, Caste Armies, Extortionists make a large area of India and people living there unsafe.

There is a cancer which is cosuming our society, this cancer is of brute power gone berserk as
law enforcement is breaking and civility is out of fashion, this cancer threatens to overwhelm our society and plunge it into anarchy.

Surely there are places which are safe but if nothing is done they will fall to this.
Sadly we choose to remain oblivious to this menance (because we feel helpless or we do not give a damn preferring to entertain ourself).

So we, who willfully ignored while we had time, has no right to act self-righteous and trash India.

Because there is no them in India, India is made of us, it is our will, which governs the destiny of our nation.Any blight on India is our collective shame.Its fall is testimony of our indifference. We can change India, it will not be easy, and it will not be cheap, but our fore fathers did it ,we can do it too.However to do so, we have to wakeup. Acting self - righteous according to news cycle will not do.

Update:
One statement that I often read was that "Manjunathan was serving nation by working in PSU".
While Manjunathan was serving nation, it has no relevance to his working in PSU
Those working in Private sectors serve nation too.
In fact this whole "serving nation by working is PSU" line is cliched,
if anything socialism of which PSU is the result has done most harm to Nation.
We can best serve nation by being honest and competent.

Related Post:
I cry for my city,
Primary Red from secular-right weighs in, I agree with his post.

And some bad asses, who like to dance on graves.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great site » »