Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Uma the enfant terrible

Uma Bharati suspended from BJP for anti- party activities

Well, while I do not think much of administrative abilities of Uma Bharati, I hold BJP leadership responsible for the current mess.
It presented Uma Bharati as the chief ministerial candidate during election while knowing that Ms. Bharati do not have the aptitude for administration, after doing this, removing her on pretext of ridiculous charges related to Idgah case and then denying her position of chief minister, is in my view dishonest.
The reason why BJP was forced to project Ms. Bharati as a leader was ofcourse due to the fact that it lacks leader with mass base, what is more I do not see emergence of any popular leaders in near future.
This is especially bad news considering how BJP was wiped out from UP after Kalyan Singh rebelled.

While the current dissension will be sweet music to secularists, it does pose a serious question to national polity.

Most of the parties, except for BJP and Left are dynastic and individual centric.
Infact except BJP there is no national party which can claim of internal democracy, and even in BJP, there has been increasing tendency of Congressization.

It is clear that internal democracy of political parties has a direct bearing on functiontioning of democratic institutions, therefore parties with dynastic structures tend to undermine democratic nature, this should be obvious from political history of India.

The other issue which arises from present situation is that with no leader at present of significact national standing, the centre will remain weak and even more susceptible to blackmail by regional satraps.

While I do feel that India is overly centralized, weakening of central authority will be a bad news and looking at the present situation I am afraid it is inevitable.

3 comments:

doubtinggaurav said...

Jaffna,

Well, can't say that I like the lady much.

Unfortunately that is the price you pay for partisan politics.

She is more of a demagogue than sanyasin.

Regards

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

Anonymous said...

What a great site Transverse myelitis & vitamin d plus size lingerie models http://www.scrubspants.info/sports-bras-plus-size.html Free pictures of gay teen boys in pants Compare homeowners insurance in florida Jets vacation Shop zoloft dosages boards qoclick emma watson bra