Tuesday, January 24, 2006

When we cut the root

Via sepia mutiny,

Outsourcing abortion to India

Reports like above make me despair.

That discrimination against women happen in these progressive times, and in educated families makes you disrespect fellow Indians.

I am sure that a economic analysis can be done, so that preference for male child can be attributed to either access to additional labour (for poor families) and for social security (for well off), however that for people as religious as Hindus, who claim to place so much sanctity on life, and who make such a pomp and show of religion, this act of murdering conceived life antrivializingng life to economic calculus is nauseating.

Even if girl child is not murdered, she has to face a life full of discrimination and oppression.
I have personally witnessed such many times subtle and some times not so subtle odious behaviourMalnutritionon , inferior education, unreasonable restrictions, dowry there are far too many injustices to enumerate here.

And this, not only in the house of poor and not in the house of illiterates alone. This is the story of many affluent families and of many in the educated class. That this monstrous obsession with a male child , for sake of old age or to continue the lineage still thrives in India, is just one more indicator of something rotten within us.

This rot has to be cleaned by us Hindus, all the legislation and laws will not be able to stop it.

Manu smriti for all its faults, was right, when it said that a place where women is not given its due honour can never flourish

Update: As FroginTheWell pointed out in the comments it is prevalent in other communities as well, that only means it is a serious matter for every Indian

4 comments:

froginthewell said...

Not just hindus, all communities in India abort to some degree or the other. Sikhs abort the most. I think the distribution is regional than religious, since there are more sikhs in Punjab etc...

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

You are right ofcourse,

But when I speak of Hindus, I take the broader indic culture.

This may seem controversial, but I think that there is common thread runnning throught religion of Indic traditions and it is undeniable

Regards

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Charter fishing carrabelle ass teeny whitening teeth 2002 dodge dakota automatic transmission 46re billerica youth hockey Whistler srt-35r radar detector reviews Free dvd player windows xp Short paintball videos Uncensored anime hardcore porn comics