Saturday, January 21, 2006

When Yanks lose sense of humour

That Indians have no sense of humour is a well accepted stereotype.

That Americans have loads of it is well accepted also.

Then what explains this , this and this ?

I will explain although it needs no explanation,

Scott Adams wrote a humourous (in a silly , PJ kind of way), basically saying that for a photon time having no value will not be able to observe theory of evolution hence theory of evolution can not be completely true. He further mentioned that he is writing this to yank people's chain,
and he expects lots of pissing off.

And even after his claiming this there were lot's of commentators who were, well angry or what is worse seriously arguing with him. And no they were not jesusfreaks , they were pro-evolution rationalists.

This is a recurring feature of his blog. He often writes some silly post and with unfailing regularity there is fury and fire. I would have thought that humour was obvious in the post.

I read his God's debris and it seemed similar to Hindu philosophy. (Ofcourse he is hardly an ideal endorsement for religion)


This just indicates what always seemed to me obvious.

1) Despite all rhetoric, rationalists are as dogmatic. What is worse they miss sense of humour many times (in other words behaving in same manner they accuse Christians of)

2) Western atheism is a reflection of western religion.

3 comments:

froginthewell said...

I agree with the latter part but don't agree that Indians don't have a sense of humour. Nor that Americans are good at it. Most of American humour I have heard is not humour - just something sexual. I think today's Indians watching hollywood movies have trained themselves to laugh at silly uncreative one-liners.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

That is why I said it was a stereotype.

Having said that I find western pop culture humorous for its irreverence, nothing from Jesus to George Washingon is sacred for them.

Often this brand of humour may be trite but this prevents us from making gods out of mere mortals.

Regards

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » » »