Evolution and Avatar
Sometimes one gets to receive mail tinged with patriotic fervor during what can be called for lack of better term "season of national euphoria". This is usually around Independence Day and republic day.
While it deals with usual speech about how "India has never invaded other countries in last 1000 years", sometimes there are others interesting assertions.One such assertion is that Hindu scriptures describe "Theory of evolution". This I am afraid is incorrect, even more than that it confuses the subject.
The theory of evolution is correlated with Dash avatar, one of the most abiding example of the concept of Avatar.
Dash avatar describes the ten avatars of Bhagwaan Vishnu from Matsya(Fish) to Kalki , from what I remember (very hazily ) the avatars are supposed to be in ascending order of gunas(or kalas) . This means that Bhagwaan Ram has more gunas then Matsya and Kalki will have more gunas than Ram, the perfect avatar having 64 gunas (as far as I remember Kalki is supposed to have around 30 gunas).
The progression from first to last avatar loosely mirrors the stages of evolution from aquatic to human through amphibious, mammal and primate.This is a striking coincidence and has led many well intentioned Hindus to proclaim that ancients knew about theory of evolution.
I don't think it was a case like that. The similarity between incarnation and evolution can be explained by the similarity in thinking process. To wit, to the ancients striving towards making sense of life, the complication of progressive life- forms presented an elegant solution, to be precise that of gradual evolution of life - form from simple to complicated. Later it might have become embellished with concept of Avatar.
But isn't it a contradiction here? On one hand I am saying that Avatar is not theory of evolution and yet speculating that ancients had some sense of evolution.
It is not, for the reason when ancients posited the idea of Avatar; it was at best a hypothesis, a philosophical model to explain life, an intellectual curiosity. Interestingly I have read that there were other cultures, with naturalistic view point (but of course) who had similar myths. This is understandable, given that an organic religion will tend to derive explanations from nature.
But after all even theory of evolution is just a theory! And here the common place error occurs.
The evolution as imagined by ancients was a hypothesis, insightful yet unverified, it was an intelligent speculation based on every day observation.
Theory of Evolution as proposed by Darwin and even Lamarck goes beyond mere speculation. Theory of evolution is based on rigorous empirical science. It is a work of centuries of observations of nature in various fields.
Data was collected and validated in countless ways before it became an acceptable theory. In short theory of evolution is a result of painstaking effort. Therefore it is incorrect to confuse the two. It doesn't mean that the thinking of ancient is trivial or something to be laughed at, it only means we should try to appreciate the intellectual effort of our forefathers in its own context.
The other moral is that we should learn to appreciate power of empirical science
Categories : Science , India , Hinduism , Religion

8 comments:
Chai,
You are always welcome
Regards
You wrote:
"It doesn't mean that the thinking of ancient is trivial or something to be laughed at, it only means we should try to appreciate the intellectual effort of our forefathers in its own context."
I agree with this 100%.In fact we are becoming medicore in many fields except science, medicines and technology... When I listen or watch remixes, I FEEL this very strongly. Few decades ago, our music directors and song writers used to weave magic. Now ... the less said the better. I AM GOING OUT OF CONTEXT, but what you have written is largely true in many areas of life.
Alka,
Glad you agree,
By the way have you stopped blogging ??
Regards
when ancients posited the idea of Avatar; it was at best a hypothesis, a philosophical model to explain life, an intellectual curiosity.
You may laugh at this but I would think of it as possibly something known through someone's mystical exprience. But of course, I don't see any reason to connect it to evolution just because of a feeble parallel ( why would mahAviShNu want his incarnations to parallel that at all )?
Frog,
The paralled is just an speculation, it might be true or it might be false.
"why would mahAviShNu want his incarnations to parallel that at all "
I don't really think Bhagwaan would want anything, but Humans do.
Regards
Sure parallel is a speculation but I was only saying I believe the idea of avatAr ( without any parallels ) per se is not speculation; I believe in the gIta and the gIta says "sambhavAmi yugE yugE".
Frog,
I agree with that
What I was saying that the specific forms of the Avatar (Matsaya, Varah etc)lead to speculation about evolution.
Regards
Excellent, love it! home security
Post a Comment