Monday, February 27, 2006

Spirituality

A prevalent wisdom which one encounters nowadays is “I do not believe in organized religion”, apparently there is something called “disorganized religion”!
One of the indispensable aspects of life is organization, government, society, civilization all are some form of organization. Organization is useful; organization provides security, safety and comfort. Organization is also the medium through which knowledge can be transferred to next generation; it is also through organization that it is possible to acquire any non trivial knowledge. But organization is also the medium for dominance and power trips. Therefore there is a tradeoff with more benefit than harm.
Therefore religion or philosophy or any equivalent body of non trivial knowledge to exist, organization is inevitable.
I understand people mean that they do not believe in dogma, but dogmatic belief has less to do with religion than with inherent nature of organization.
Organizations have inbuilt dogma or rigidity. The amount changes from structure to structure.

I like to think that Hinduism is less rigid, which means it can be “worked around”, I may be wrong. I also think that “People of the Book” religions will be inherently more rigid, I may again be wrong.

This doesn't mean that one has necessarily to belong to a religion, far from it. The only point is that in order to first reject something, it has to be understood. I am afraid "I do not believe in organized religion" crowd is rejecting religion beforehand, without any effort or comprehension.

I also do not mean that religious dictates have to be accepted 100%, I think every premise has to be judged and then accepted.

There is another wisdom which makes even less sense than the first wisdom, this is “I believe in
spirituality but I don’t believe in God”.

What is spirituality? It is belief in spirit. What is spirit, then? It is popularly described in terms of force or consciousness. What is the nature of this force, this consciousness? Again according to popular wisdom this “spirit” transcends reason, it is supposed to pervade universe and be on some higher level than mere sensory perception. At this point of course it is difficult to tell “Spirit” apart from “God”, but for the fact it is considered cooler to be spiritual and superstitious to be a believer. Essentially the objections against spirituality are same as objection as existence of God.
In my view this is intellectual dishonesty, feebleness or both.

There is yet another wisdom that God can not “exist” because it can not be “observed”. But that is the point, what is observation? What is reality? What is existence? What is the assumption behind all the science and the philosophy? What is matter and what is energy? What is self? God is a concept, just like point or line. Point doesn’t exist, line can not be observed, yet they are valid, as they explain the nature of Geometry. Same way is the belief in God, it explains the nature of existence, it is useful metaphysics, but please don’t expect God in a Petri Dish.