Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blog-A-Thon on Women harassment

There is Blog-a- Thon (by Blank Noise Project) current underway on women harassment such as eve teasing and physical intimidation. I have not much to say about it.
I have read innumerous accounts of this and I find it is detestable. However fortunately, I have never witnessed anything of this nature.
But I have heard few accounts. One was how few students made it a point to grope girls in disco held during our annual spring festival. Second was how at one time one friend of mine felt some one up. As I said I find it disgusting beyond description.

But ultimately if this has to stop, public has to stop take it lying down. While writing blogs about it is something I appreciate, I don't think it will stop the reprehensible acts, as greatbong has pointed out.

There is another point, generally if a girl were to accuse a boy in crowd, the boy will be beaten first and then handed to police and then may be asked for question.

Fortunately speaking, I have hardly experienced (being ascetic and all) or witnessed it. Unfortunately for me, however once I had a rather irritating experience, I and my friends were watching a movie in theatre, next to us a couple was sitting with girl next to my friend.

Now girl asked one of my friends to cut down the noise, since the whole hall was noisily making the comments (including ironically the couple), my friend refused to do so, politely pointing out that the couple was itself noisy.

What happened next was unexpected. The boyfriend misunderstood my friend (who I must say is a honorable man) and started fighting, the girl also joined, soon guys (and girls) in front and back started supporting the couple assuming that we had done something wrong. Ultimately ushers asked us to change the seats, which we refused to do, they were going to throw us out, but then my friend managed to convince them we had done nothing to girl.Ultimately the boy and the girl swapped the seats.

We were lucky as girl also agreed the fact, but if she had said anything to contrary out of annoyance, we would have humiliated for sure or probably beaten, because there was no way we were going to take it lying.