Polemics of Dalit Activism
I am wary of so called Dalit Activists. Chandrabhan Prasad is one such fine example. Going through his columns I fail to understand what is he aiming for.
If it were for upliftment and progress of Dalits I could have understood it.
And yet even a cursory reading will be sufficient to establish the fact that whatever the intentions, the writer spends much of energy and space in ranting against upper caste. I do not deny the fact that there is a sufficient ground for any Dalit Activist to be irate.
I accept that casteism has been a bane of our society and Dalits have been oppressed. I will not speculate the origins or intentions of caste, it might have social stratification or it might have been racism, but let it be said whatever the intentions, the effect of caste has been most pernicious not only on the oppressed caste, but also on Indian society.
However what I do not understand is how a Dalit Activist proposes to resolve this. So far my experience has been that Dalit Activists are more interest in visceral hared against Upper castes, than any constructive program. The ire and anger towards upper caste is so absolute and all encompassing, it makes one wonder that this hostility is more a result of resentment than any serious contemplation.
The language of Dalit Activist is that of a polemicist. His enemy is each and every person belonging to upper caste.
I belong to upper caste, I did not choose to be one, it was just a matter of birth and for me caste identity holds least importance.
Neither I nor any member of family (immediate or extended) has ever discriminated against dalits either consciously or unconsciously.
Therefore I fail to understand ire of Dalit Activist towards me, or my family, because he directs his bile towards, all sparing none. In doing so, by marking me as an object for hatred and contempt, he is perpetuating casteism.
Instead of obliterating caste identities, he is just making them stronger.
But the matter doesn’t stop here, while creating a permanent enemy helps in consolidating the constituency, it does nothing to uplift them. On the contrary by aggravating social division it works against dalits.
Dalit Activist professes to work for Dalits. Yet by slandering Hinduism he causes acrimony and division. Blinded by pseudo – scientific theories of racial division between upper castes and lower caste, it seeks to create separate and antagonistic identities. Neither is this intellectually honest, while caste oppression has been a feature of Hindu society for long time, so is the fact that social reformers and saints have worked against it.
The final result is that it will work against Dalits, but in all probability that is the intention of these activists.
PS To understand his rhetoric, see rig vedic budget, according to gentlemen the lack ofo reform (or industrilization) is not due to obstructionist policies of communist thugs but becauase of brahiminnical conspiracy. Also note the wonderful comparision between Dalits and Dasyus.
The irony is that as far as I remember Chidambaram is hardly a brahmin or for that matter pro- Hindu.

1 comments:
You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »
Post a Comment