RIP
Manohar Shyam Joshi is dead.
He was one of the few authors in Hindi who could write beyond proletariat.
I may be called philistine but I prefer writers and poets who worked with cinema and television (Fanishwar Nath Renu, Kaifi Azmi etc)
Literature needs to be popular and connect to masses. Unfortunately Hindi literature has become seduced by the trumpets of communism. There is no joy and all existential dilemmas.

10 comments:
This is true for Urdu poetry too.
History,
I agree.
Unfortunatly since last few decades Urdu literature has suffered.
Regards
prefer writers and poets who worked with cinema and television (Fanishwar Nath Renu, Kaifi Azmi etc)
To some extent this parallels my feeling about malayALam too. Film songs involve a heart-felt picturisation of the emotions intended to be conveyed but stories just seem to be about describing the tragedy of some poor oppressed woman/man and how much of villains the oppressors are. Once I saw a dalit poem that I couldn't distinguish from plain name-calling. I think what makes writers complacent is the fact that they write about homosexuality etc. which the society is not comfortable discussing. This gives them the impression that they are far above the very primitive society they live in, and thus have little incentive to really argue and reason things out.
In fact I generally don't understand ( modern ) poetry. And when I see people saying that these cannot be explained further and that the reader should make out what he/she gets from it I tend to suspect that the poets are people who want to avoid legitimate reasoning and are hence hiding away into a form of writing where they don't need to write anything clearly or precisely.
But then I would suspect ( though I don't know anything almost ) that the literary cliques all over the world would support communist writing.
Frog, Jaffna,
Call me simple-minded but I think that first purpose of any art should be enjoyment. Art is the celebradtion of life.
Modern art suffers because it takes itself too seriously.
In past we had religion, now we have scientific enquiry, the result atleast on art forms is pretty depressing.
Regards
Dude, I share your opinion on that.
For serious thought we always have prose ( say, blogs :-)). I am yet to see/understand any subtle idea expressed in poetry or fiction or whatever, that cannot be expressed through straightforward, direct means. Call me simple-minded or whatever :-))
first purpose of any art should be enjoyment.
On further thoughts I disagree. Spiritual sAdhana is a good first purpose as well. That was how the most profound developments in south Indian music took place.
Frog,
Why do you think that aradhana is without joy.
Joy need not be carnal or superficial in nature. The highest form of joy is that of a Bhakt.
Infact I will go so far as to say that Hinduism is a religion of Joy.
Regards
Best regards from NY! Blowjob cum facials Schema gate opener http://www.anal-fucking-2.info/huge_and_fat_black_cock.html fitness woman in bikini Cost low propecia wholesale totes duffels rolling bags Xxx party hardcore Ecorse dental insurance
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »
Enjoyed a lot! Cosmetic surgery salt lake business cards Wont do interracial Acuvue2 versus acuvue advance threat management training lipitor Maker of lamictal Company home insurance owner rate
Post a Comment