The fightback
(Via Indian Express)
SC warns: India is secular, behave,
".... The Supreme Court on Friday directed the Orissa government to provide police protection to a Muslim couple who were forced to separate after local clerics issued a fatwa that they were divorced even though they wanted to live together..... "
It is heartening to note , that while state has consistently failed to safeguard rights of citizens, Judiciary has stepped up to fill the role. Having said that, the fact that Judiciary has to intervene in what should be a routine case hardly a testimony either to state or society.
Later in the article,
"....The clerics had said that if Nazma wanted to live with her husband, she must perform 'halala' (she must marry another man and the marriage must be consummated, after which she can get a divorce and then re-marry her first husband).
However, Nazma refused to do so, and instead knocked at the doors of the court....."
I am perfectly aware of the potential cost that an average Indian has to pay for defying the strongmen, seen in this light the couple,and especially the wife deserve accolades for fighting the entrenched mullahcracy.
Ultimately, it is by the concerted action of the individuals that society and state is to be lifted from morass.
Update: Surprise, surprise ! Counter move has already started (via CN), ofcourse the easiest way to suppress rights of individual citizen is to claim offense to religion. It worked with Shah Bano and Satanic Verses, is it going to work this time ? I doubt, UPA government has already more on plate than it can digest.

4 comments:
Jaffna,
You are welcome,
However I do not think that my blog is anything to thank about, in fact quite the opposite.
OK, I think I know what is it all about, but if anything I am as partisan as they come, so it is axiomatic for me to bash Nehru. In this respect you provide perspective which is very much neccessary.
Regards
CN,
Thanks, since blogging has been light I have to scavenge from current news.
Regards
Very nice site! phoenix family wireless plans Tecra 8200 lcd screen Palm springs golf guide
This is very interesting site... »
Post a Comment