Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Confounding Secularism


This is a public announcement

Ref

To whomsoever it may concern,

Secularism is not equal respect (or contempt) to all religions.

Secularism means either

1) (In specific context) Seperation of temporal authority from religious authority

2) (In broader ) Detachment of certain human actions from religious context.

Further the concept of equal respect to other religions doesn't exist in traditional western civilization (There is only one true god and one true religion)

Even further the concept of equal respect to all religions doesn't exist even in Indic civilization nor it should exist.
 
 

12 comments:

Adi Oso-Groot Finch said...

good to remind again. though anyone who's studied history a little and knows anything related to the westphalian treaty should know this by heart

now my question: how do you separate state and religion if the state provides support to one/more/all of them? can you present the case of a really secular state?

Adi Oso-Groot Finch said...

btw, i landed here from your comment at the Acorn

doubtinggaurav said...

Raven,

Good question.
I do not know the answer yet though.

Regards

froginthewell said...

Shouldn't the answer to Raven's question be "It isn't possible"? Because by providing support you are by definition removing the separation. Or am I missing something and indulging in platitudes?

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

I don't know :-)

I have not yet grokked it yet.

By the way did you have exams recently and nowadays you have a break ?

Regards

froginthewell said...

At this rate you will soon become of the top sources of hits at dictionary.com :-)

What is mean is : isn't it tautological? Separation means support cannot be there. Whether "equal" support can be given without antagonizing some sections is a different story ( I believe it isn't possible without a lot of social and economic improvement but may not be able to give a convincing argument now ).

I didn't have exams but my trip to India had caused a break in commenting.

froginthewell said...

By the way have you come out of hole II?

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

What I meant was I don't know what is correct way to separate religion and state.

Yes I have come out of the hole :-)now I am in a different city.

Regards

froginthewell said...

Can you give an example of an issue where the means to implementing the separation is not obvious? May be reservations?

Nice to know you are out of the hole.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

I meant the overall picture is not clear to me.Will try to post on it.

Thanks & Regards

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »