Losing face (But saving the rest)
I support Indian government's decision to promote Shashi Tharoor as a candidate for UN secretary general(Via Nitin). This is how GoI should act.GoI should pro-actively push through his candidature. Our honourable ministers and babus should leave no stone unturned in working for the cause and Indian state should push all might it has in support of Mr Tharoor.
Indian media can also help by covering this in its usual objective manner. Our journalists can analyze this till it has been discussed threadbare and there is no aspect which remains from being dissected. GoI and Indian media by acting in tandem can generate the right amount of hoopla and induce mass hysteria thus raising expectations of general masses.
Next I hope (infact wish) that Shashi Tharoor is defeated, preferably by Pakistani candidate.
If the Gen Secy is Pakistani (or supported by land of "enlightened moderation"), he should raise issue(s) such as Kashmir/Atrocities of Indian Army/Narendra Modi on every available opportunity. He should also try to get a resolution passed against India (with the help of usual bunch of India baiters) for any real or imagined infraction by Indian state.
In short, I want India, her government and her citizens to be humiliated, thoroughly and unambigously, in short rubbing of face in the manure. I want an act so clear in its import that none ofManmohan lovers Indian media diversions or spins could distract from the fact.
Because unless shaming of such magnitude occurs there is no way in heaven that Indians will wake up from their delusions and start taking international affairs seriously.
Japanese have a phrase called "loss of face", it refers to public indignity and is considered worst kind of injury to a person which must be avenged. This is a very superficial concept ofcourse,
sadly most of the times civilization is obsessed with public image.
India is a worst case of this malaise, I sincerily hope that the drubbing will wake up Indians to
1) Pakistanis are "not" our brothers.
2) Distinguish between accomplishment and media manufactured hype.
3) Realise the irrelvance and futility of symbolic gestures like pat by US or victory in UN.
Now, seriously speaking I can just concur with Nitin. This (jockeying for UN post) is devoid of any intelligence. The benefits from successful outcome are hardly substantial. Even if assuming that Mr. Tharoor has the kajuns enough for hardball politics (doubtful if this comment by Sandeep is to be believed), there is not much a Secy General can do to change the opinion in favour of one country. Recent experience shows that UN is not much effective against determined powers and international craft.
However the investment by India is bound to be significant, even if India secures support from US, getting support from other members will be nothing sort of herculean (esp. considering ASEAN is also gunning for the post). When I talk about investment it is not in terms of pegs of scotch or even dollars, but diplomatic concessions (or quid pro quos) to different groups. Also the fact if stakes are raised (which most probably will be), India may have to concede more "pound of flesh" to save its face.
PS. Sandeep writes here.
Category : India, Foreign_Affairs, International, Politics
Indian media can also help by covering this in its usual objective manner. Our journalists can analyze this till it has been discussed threadbare and there is no aspect which remains from being dissected. GoI and Indian media by acting in tandem can generate the right amount of hoopla and induce mass hysteria thus raising expectations of general masses.
Next I hope (infact wish) that Shashi Tharoor is defeated, preferably by Pakistani candidate.
If the Gen Secy is Pakistani (or supported by land of "enlightened moderation"), he should raise issue(s) such as Kashmir/Atrocities of Indian Army/Narendra Modi on every available opportunity. He should also try to get a resolution passed against India (with the help of usual bunch of India baiters) for any real or imagined infraction by Indian state.
In short, I want India, her government and her citizens to be humiliated, thoroughly and unambigously, in short rubbing of face in the manure. I want an act so clear in its import that none of
Because unless shaming of such magnitude occurs there is no way in heaven that Indians will wake up from their delusions and start taking international affairs seriously.
Japanese have a phrase called "loss of face", it refers to public indignity and is considered worst kind of injury to a person which must be avenged. This is a very superficial concept ofcourse,
sadly most of the times civilization is obsessed with public image.
India is a worst case of this malaise, I sincerily hope that the drubbing will wake up Indians to
1) Pakistanis are "not" our brothers.
2) Distinguish between accomplishment and media manufactured hype.
3) Realise the irrelvance and futility of symbolic gestures like pat by US or victory in UN.
Now, seriously speaking I can just concur with Nitin. This (jockeying for UN post) is devoid of any intelligence. The benefits from successful outcome are hardly substantial. Even if assuming that Mr. Tharoor has the kajuns enough for hardball politics (doubtful if this comment by Sandeep is to be believed), there is not much a Secy General can do to change the opinion in favour of one country. Recent experience shows that UN is not much effective against determined powers and international craft.
However the investment by India is bound to be significant, even if India secures support from US, getting support from other members will be nothing sort of herculean (esp. considering ASEAN is also gunning for the post). When I talk about investment it is not in terms of pegs of scotch or even dollars, but diplomatic concessions (or quid pro quos) to different groups. Also the fact if stakes are raised (which most probably will be), India may have to concede more "pound of flesh" to save its face.
PS. Sandeep writes here.
Category : India, Foreign_Affairs, International, Politics

3 comments:
Jaffna,
As an avowed teetotaller, I am afraid I can not help you here.
However, if you feel we can discuss benefits of milk.
Regards
Gaurav,
Some good points there. I think Nitin was right on the money when he said we are just expending our chips without nay tangible gains.
best
Confused,
Nitin is usually right :-).
I think to speak of Intelligence and UPA is a contradiction in terms
Regards
Post a Comment