Monday, August 14, 2006

Evolution as Voodoo Science

Fairness is determined by absence of melanin. Melanin screens from sun and is a natural sun screen. Fair people are more prone to sun burns and skin cancer compared to darker people. On the other hand since melanin blocks sun, darker people (like me) are more prone to Vitamin D deficiency and need more exposure to sun light.

If fairness has evolutionary advantage it is either in colder climates (where sun light is scarce) or as a curiosity amongst darker inhabitants (which makes it a social construct).
But it is, in NO WAY indicative of health.

Now I propose to start a fund for a primer course in genetics, because frankly speaking as a dark (and ugly) person I am very much annoyed when people write stupid tripe like this in all their glorious ignorance.

Arre bhayya, why not atleast search Wiki.

2 comments:

froginthewell said...

A friend of mine once remarked that it is possibly the Indian obsession with bathing and keeping clean that makes Indian men prefer fairer women - because we often unconsciously associate bathing with removing "dark" impurities - eg. malayALam has a colloquial usage translating to "scrub and whiten the kid". This should explain the preference better than any evolutionary psychology, I feel.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Interesting theory.
Or may be it is the fascination for the unusual.
I mean even lifetime of washing can not make an Indian white.

Regards