Monday, September 18, 2006

Cultural Nationalism: Musings.

Posted as comments for this post (thanks to Frog for conversation)

For starters I define myself as cultural nationalist. This means I am interested in rejuvenation of Indic civilization, resurgence of India back to her place. This means progress, not only in terms of GDP, but also in arts, music, literature, science ,philosophy and everything else.

To accomplish this, in order to lift India from morass, two conditions must be fulfilled.

One willingness of Indian citizen to work for self - improvement instead of depending on others, including state. (when I say self -improvement, material acquisition is just a part , although significant, to me self-improvement or rather self realization implies discovery in the field of ideas, in essence curiosity to explore the uncharted territory).
Second The confidence and the pride in nation and fellow citizens. Civic sense follows from pride. I know any talk of national pride is too politically incorrect in this age of progressivism.

This is why I support free markets. Free markets imply that each individual earns according to a combination of factors such as skill, labour, intelligence and job profile. I find it more conducive, in fact the required condition for national resurgence. While creed of egalitarianism may appeal to our loftier instincts, welfare state or "from each according to his capability to each according to his need" will invariably be foiled by our baser instincts, free riders in other words.

To me introduction of free markets is a hope, a spark if you will, which can ignite Indians in the same way as our freedom struggle did at one time.

Why am I a cultural nationalist is matter for separate post

2 comments:

froginthewell said...

I would like to know your views on whether you think that in some sense Indian culture has survived through ages unlike other cultures, and if so specific reasons if any you would attribute for that.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

I think this deserves a separate post

Regards