Lesson to be learnt
I do not think that all jobs are equal, nor worthy of equal admiration or envy.
I value the profession of nuclear or genetic engineering more than that that of programming which to me is more valuable than clerical post.
I will not certainly not want my progeny to wait at tables or worse peddle themselves.
However one thing that is essential, is to understand that everyone who works deserves respect. This sadly is missing in India. It is a matter of concern when someone who earns money honestly with his physical labour is shunned and many times treated with contempt, whereas jobs which are nothing more than paper pushing are coveted, the fact these jobs involve corruption is considered to be a plus factor.
If India has to progress then we must treat labour with respect and dignity.This we can learn from Americans.
In part this was a delayed response to Joe Biden's remark, which while being ignorant and stereotypical was not, in my opinion, derogatory.

2 comments:
I think the worst possible job is that of a researcher/professor who doesn't do work that is likely to be beneficial to the society. eg., a pure mathematician who only does research and no teaching.
But I wouldn't value a "nuclear engineer" over a "clerk" - what matters is their attitude to help. But the researcher of the kind mentioned above fails here too because he/she doesn't as much as carefully examine his/her role or make amends.
Frog,
But why do you think research is not beneficial to the society.
See, it is a matter of long term versus short term benifits.
Be assured that pure mathematics contribute greatly towards society
Regards
Post a Comment