Wednesday, December 27, 2006

One for leisure

I admit, I am doomed. What else could explain having same oddball conversation with same oddball character for something like thousandth time. Anyhow that is how it went (not at all different from other times).

"The shortcoming of deductive logic is that it needs empirical data, since for a first cause the notion of data is absurd, therefore it follows that we must have assumption, hence existence of God", I said.

At this old man with walrus moustache interrupted my monologue, "Why have God as initial hypothesis, why not FSM or even Russel's teacup".

I retorted, stung by the mocking, "If it didn't appeal to your sense of ridicule, you will see the merest hint of form, degenerates the God as concept to God as description".

He didn't let it go at that, "Tell you what is the problem, there are no assumptions, only delusions, even the assumption that cosmos follows human logic is nothing but hubris".

It was my turn to interrupt, "But if the premise is a sort of metaphysical smokes and mirror then what is wrong with having God as delusion.

He cried, "But that is the problem, God no longer deludes, people have got over the habit of supplicating to a cosmic overlord, what exists instead is the belief, fragile and unwarranted, but still present, belief in man, his alleged ingenuity,is the new opiate". Man himself is the new delusion.

He spoke again after pausing, "People don't believe in God, because God is dead. But man is alive , behold his glory".

Saying this,he stood and left in hurried steps.

I muttered annoyingly, "Freddie sure is a queer old man".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learnt from Sartre that the concept of God, is an irrational delusion. everyone must act to free self from the brutalities of his environment..but how can one act if he or she is not let free?
such a debilitating thought! why does one have to fight with delusion, which is a prison built around self instead of fighting the reality?
you muttered annoyingly, "Freddie sure is a queer old man".
wonder what Freddie had thought of you?

doubtinggaurav said...

J,

But isn't freedom the biggest illusion of all

Anonymous said...

G,
that's interesting a leap n am tempted to ask you again

Illusion is freedom ? or freedom is illusion? If I am asked I say,Illusion is freedom. Freedom is not illusion until you are restricted or constrained by something ..till then you work on a free reign. As a free thinker, you go boundless till that speedbraker*a constraint and then you realise freedom is an illusion. i could be wrong, now contest-J

Anonymous said...

G
you are absolutely right on ur observation on Thomas Bernhard's humor....since you liked his story...
let me share one more story from the same book "Voice Imitator"
===============
A so-called Chamber Music Association famous for playing only ancient music on original instruments and for having only Rossini, Frescobaldi, Vivaldi, and Pergolesi in its repertoire was playing in an old castle on the Attersee and had its greatest success since it was founded. The applause continued until the Chamber Music Association did not have a single encore left on its program to play. It was not until the next day that the musicians were told that they had been playing in an institute for deaf-mutes....{story is through)
what do u say now? isnt he morbidly entertaining...J

doubtinggaurav said...

J,

may be philosophy is nothing but maze for humans, and we are being watched by superiors

The story is not morbid I wish I could say the story was ironical but it has too much of absurdity but it is not a farce because it has a melancholy.
I am truly confused