Monday, April 09, 2007

Remembering stuff - concluding post

(Previous posts [1], [2], [2.5], [3], [4] & [5])

Having attempted to analyze the factors that influence civilization and its evolution, this last post(hopefully) examines the mechanism behind "resurrection" of civilization.
Here "resurrection" is used intentionally. Basically "resurrection" is a different and difficult process from "advent".

The reason is not very difficult to understand.
During advent, the instinct that drive civilizations are still primal and unconditioned, and the network arising out of interactions is only beginning to form.

On the other hand decline is a symptom of imbalance of instincts, thus "resurrection" implies restoring the balance, which means "rewiring" the connections to make social network functional.

Like the previous posts, this post too is concerned with how memories can be utilized for revival of civilization.
I make a distinction between memories dependant on their utility to the civilization.

One set of memories represent the decline and atrophy of civilization. These must be eliminated from the psyche. The other set represent the evolution and ascendancy, these should be promoted. Here I will emphasize that value system to which evolution aspires to, changes from stage to stage, hence memories do get reclassified during the evolution, resulting in rejection or assimilation. Also all the modes of memories can be classified as belonging to the either set.

One last point is about importing "value system". It is fashion of the modern times to proclaim certain values as universal. This is nothing but self-deception and unfortunate result of intellectual triumphalism of modern age. A more accurate statement would be that there are certain values which are "almost" universal.

Now before someone starts thinking that I am just rambling, let me emphasize, this "almost" is important, because it denotes the context in which value system evolved. Now much like evolutionary biology, development of civilization also ends up exhibiting convergent evolution, and as in biology while the basics remain same the details may vary. Hence attempting to impose a value system, evolved in a different environment,"in Toto" upon a different civilization is recipe for chaos and disorder, much like what is happening in India.

Instead, the preferable course should be to imbibe the vigour and contemplation which drove the development of value systems underpinning a vibrant and advanced civilization, to internalize the essence of such values.

5 comments:

doubtinggaurav said...

Jaffna,

Welcome back to blogsphere. Pune has been good to me so far. And you are right in that Chennai has huge potential, the only problem is Chennai is not very cosmopolitan, probably a result of parochial Draavid politics.

I intend to read Hagel some day (with Spinoza, Locke,Thoureau, Miller,Adams Schopenhauer, Jung, Sarte list is endless).

Till then,what I know is puny but what I dont know is profound :-)

Yeah those terms are christians, their usage was unintentional, I agree Hindu terms would have been more appropriate, considering how Hindu philosophy deals with cycles.


Regards

Anonymous said...

In vedanta,this "almost" universal truth is called vyavaharika satya,as different from paramaarthika satya.

Of course,the absolute truth, in your words, is an assumption.Great saints talk of realisation.But for the rest,we have to keep looking for truth here,there,anywhere.

One can expect the quest to be fruitful,if we are focussed on what we are looking for.

I hope,i was not irritating.

doubtinggaurav said...

xyz,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I have no familiarity with classical indian philosophy (or perhaps Darshan is the better word)and hence condemned to re-invent the wheel.

Anonymous said...

In Vedanta,there are three pramanas:words of the guru/scripture(shabda),reason(yukthi) and anubhava(experience).The order can be different.

For any thinking person,reason takes precedence.We validate it through our own experiences and/or writings of seers.In the modern paradigm something like theoretical and experimental physics in the golden age of physics.I have to admit,i am not very qualified to talk about it.I enjoyed your numerous analogies to physics.Very pertinent.

Oh!I sound so serious and scholastic.

doubtinggaurav said...

xyz,

Comparision is apt. We welcome serious people here :-)