Monday, July 09, 2007

Entropy & Philosophy

In a shocking incidence my wisdom has been questioned by some punk. The only suitable punishment for this sort of impudence is an intimate evening with eminent blogger, but considering the severity of punishment, the aforementioned punk deserves an explanation, which shall now be provided.

For purpose of analogy I consider the much abused philosophical explanation of entropy, which is disorder.

Essentially disorder (or entropy) shows "overall" net increase in a closed system.

Now this doesn't mean that it has to an increase everywhere, indeed it is possible that in some locality disorder (or entropy) might be decreasing, but this decrease is offset by a greater increase in disorder in parts of the system which are outside that locality.

I think it is fair enough to represent civilization as order with its evolution as increase in magnitude of order.

The question then arises, what kind of phenomenon civilization is ?

Earlier I would have contended that formation of civilization is always an endergonic reaction which would have implied that it always require an agent, which I assumed, would be transcendental in nature, and its occurrence a random, inexplicable event.

This was essentially pessimistic view because it implied that absent outside agent, which is not guaranteed anyway, very nature of civilization is against nature, and hence demise is an imminent.

Now I am not sure, the best analogy that I can give is that at the beginning at least, the formation of civilization is spontaneous with a negative entropy (hence increase in order) for the reaction.

The next question then arises is what is the nature of civilization after it has crossed initial phase?

To this I can think of either two answers,as civilization climbs Maslow pyramid either the process becomes endergonic in nature, the other that even though it might remain spontaneous
the activation energy increases.

The first answer will lead to my earlier conclusion, that is, eventual demise.

"Disorder will eventually catch up with order".

Here it must be noted that except for India and China, all the ancient civilizations are dead. Of the two, I think China has a better chance of survival than India for more than one reasons.
While one can argue that Europe is descendant of Hellenic civilization, it is not necessarily accurate. Europe draws from Greek as well as Judeo- Christian traditions.

However, if second answer is correct it means that civilization can be resurrected, provided it is not irredeemably lost, with enough activation energy, in a way restarting the engine of civilization. The spark, to continue with analogy, in all probability will be of spiritual nature.

Now what answer I opt for depends on whether I feel pessimistic or optimistic.

PS. Series on civilization.

PPS. Yes this is self-plugging. If you hate it, please do the plugging for me.

7 comments:

Ritwik said...

Dictator, take a bow. This one seems complete at the moment. Will have to dig deep to find holes, if any. Bloody good job.

doubtinggaurav said...

Ritwik,

If you think you can escape punishment by appreciating this post you are mistaken.

You have to spend one intimate evening with eminent blogger.

Only good news for you is that taking into account his love for passive sentences, he most probably enjiys being dominated.

In The Shadows said...

Gaurav,

So much effort, just to make someone understand that entropy is not to be taken physically here.. You sure have a lot of patience... Wishing you good health :-)

doubtinggaurav said...

Look guys stop this, otherwise I will just start deleting comments, allright !

This is last warning !

Ritwik said...

Gaurav,

I don't really fancy gay S&M you know.

doubtinggaurav said...

Ritwik,

That's why it is punishment.

Enjoy, or not....

Anonymous said...

Chinese civilization has greater chances of survival? Well, they now are hardly more than a patchy imitation of the west. Ditto with all south east asian countries, the christianized south korea etc.