Wednesday, September 19, 2007

People

1. Sidney Sheldon is a guy. Shocking but true.

2. Bihari is not a language. Magahi is, Bhojpuri is (I should know), Maithili is (sound like some Bengali gent being tortured by Haryana Police), but not Bihari.

5 comments:

Ritwik said...

You forgot the fourth dialect of Bihar, the one spoken at my home - Bajjika. Bajjika is the apabhransha of Vrijjika, the language of the Vrijji Sangh (the council of elders) of the Lichhavi Ganrajya, the first oligarchy of the world.

doubtinggaurav said...

Ritwik,

I am sure there are many dialects I forgot to mention. Now will you be so good as to rectify your error on orkut and repent.

Ritwik said...

Bhaisahab, Orkut doesn't have the options called Magahi, Bhojpuri, Bajjika or Maithili. hence, one goes with Bihari.

Vaise there are 4 major dialects only. (Bihar that is, excluiding Jharkhand)

In The Shadows said...

So what does Laloo speak ? Is it Bhojpuri ?

Are all four languages you mention spoken in Bihar? Then they are Bihari :-)

And what is Bhaiyya ? Some language or some community ?

After all this, what exactly is Hindi and where is it actually spoken then, if not Bihar ??
(All that I can make out is that very few people actually speak Hindi. Hindi film industry is actually the Urdu film industry, more so in recent times so that movies can be exported to Pakistan.
Eg, What I speak in Hindi is actually a khichdi of Hindi, Gujarati, and Marathi and I am none of them)

Anonymous said...

Whats shocking about Sheldon being a guy?