Too big a tent
Cārvākas are not Hindus, mostly because that branch is dead, died out long back, and frankly was never a major force in terms of popularity.
You are here: Home > Religion > Too big a tent
Cārvākas are not Hindus, mostly because that branch is dead, died out long back, and frankly was never a major force in terms of popularity.
4 comments:
Swami Vivekananda says that in modern day parlance one could *perhaps* say that a hindu is one who is a vEdAntin. There might be some sects which have to be called hindu, but still don't accept vEdAnta. But how do you know cArvAkas were never popular ( in any part of India )?
This post has an important generalization, I believe - explaining why many hindus aren't "hindus enough", explaining why hinduism in India is not really as stable a force as we want it to be.
Dear Sir,
Most of the world is living by their philosophy, even if most people haven't ever heard of them.
Who else but a Cārvāka could have come up with the concepts of Credit Cards, of Sub-prime Mortgage and suchlike? Heck, the very concept of money itself is probably a product of a Cārvākian mind.
With best regards,
Overlord
Frog,
Yes something of the kind I was thinking. May be will write a post sometimes later.
Dear Overlord,
Be that it may, I am just talking about Hinduism. And money is Carvakian, don't tell me you are reading Argumentative Indian
Aspiring Dictator,
Trust me, I put too high a value on the tiny sum of money you put in my account every month to be reading that kind of a book. (*)
(*) I'm assuming that you pay a few taxes, however unlikely that may be for an aspiring dictator to be known as doing.
Yours,
Overlord
Post a Comment