Thursday, February 28, 2008

Template journalism

Now this is par for the course as far as His Eminence is concerned but it is bit of surprise, considering the refined sensibility, that one with the blue throat has praised this article. The gist of the article, if I get it correctly (and if I do not I request one with the blue heart to educate me), is that IPL will unleash a surge in awareness about open markets, apparently because of shifting of the focus to ensuing debate on market economy in popular discourse. How and why this will happen is not clear to me. It is not as if people have not seen the advantages of open market so far. Whether software, or textile, or even cricket in it more traditional format have been beneficiary of the liberalization.
If we are talking about visibility then we don't have to look any further than the mobile revolution. If these success stories have not been able to provoke a debate, for what reason exactly IPL will.

Interestingly however, this article and many other articles like this published previously in livemint do highlight the problem. A shallow intelligentsia, enamoured of buzzword, shunning any serious inquiry is what is doing India in. It is this "Copy and Paste" journalism, or perhaps a better word would be template journalism, best exemplified by Live mint and its mission statement xeroxed from its parent wall street journal, without as much as bothering to fine tune it for India, has consistently failed this nation.

Update: Here is my confession. I was looking for mention of Coase in the article. I am getting paranoid.

2 comments:

ecophilo said...

hmm! I agree with you, but I still liked the piece...

The only difference is that agriculture unlike software, cricket, textile is a vote bank. Not too sure if too many politicians have cracked open a vote bank by opening it up, rather than by pandering to it. Hence, agriculture will not have an IPL any time soon.

doubtinggaurav said...

Well I too agree with agriculture part, my problem is that the article is simply too incoherent and disconnected.