Monday, April 14, 2008

Because they ruled for thousand years

It is not often that I find myself agreeing with Tavleen Singh, this is one of those rare occasions when I do. In one sentence, it is the history, the idea, the identity of Islam which is in struggle with India. Further the only closure favourable to India is disassociation of Indian Muslims from transnational Ummah.

Not that I agree completely. I find she is mistaking effect for cause, when she argues that religion has conceded public space to secular, and retreated to private. In fact, I would like to think it of something of a tragedy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two questions

"Further the only closure favourable to India is disassociation of Indian Muslims from transnational Ummah."
Why do you think so ?
Also in an increasingly connected world (communications,travel )is not this a rather faint hope ?

why is retreating religion to private a tragedy ?
Multiple religions in public sphere would lead to conflict would it not ?

doubtinggaurav said...

Anon,

Sorry for late response. The questions deserves a detailed post, so later.