The sad tribe
If one comes to think of it the atheist tribe which infests interwebs must be the saddest one, for they rally around not any idea, but negation of idea. Hence the constant self righteousness, and overbearing sense of urgency.
In that sense Atheism is like an Abrahamic faith, without the benefit of God. Or perhaps communism of soul. The end of science heralded by worship of science.
PS. It will be more accurate to say modern atheist. Epicureans were atheists, as were Buddhist in a fashion. Even Nietzsche was one, but at least one knew where they were coming from.
PPS. Being rationalist is not same as being atheist. In fact it can be argued the foundation for rationalism was built by believers (Occam, Aquina et al)
PPPS. Yes I have said this before. In different words.

3 comments:
I remember your ascribing such a view of Buddhists as stated above to "shUnyata". But don't read too much into the words, the most fundamental Buddhist literature believes in heaven, Indra and the like. They believe in rebirth as owing to desire etc. Buddha, I think, only avoided the question of ultimate reality. He didn't negate such a thing, he asked people to try get rid of suffering following right knowledge etc. - which perhaps makes sense considering how so many Hindus wax eloquent about things they have no clue of.
i think both atheists and ultra-religious freaks have a certain smugness.
i guess it's up to the rationalists to make fun of them.
p.s. i come to appreciate caeser's blog ... not to bury him.
p.s.s. i was trying to be funny ....
FiTW,
To me theism/atheism boils down to ultimate truth hence my preference to place Buddhism as atheistic. However this is just my convention.
OR,
Are there any rationalist theist left ?
And if I was you, I would be vary of mocking future dictator, just sayin'
Post a Comment