Sunday, August 10, 2008

No it's not them, it's us

I will be frank, I have never seriously put much faith in "us vs.them" and it is not because I care for movies about dyslexic kids.

Here is what I think. Prior to partition the obduracy of Muslim intelligentsia was unmanageable. After the partition, however, it was possible to ensure that there is no re-occurrence of the problem in future. We  could have decided, the boundaries for political and cultural discourse, outside of which any conversation would be deemed unacceptable to the main stream. In other words, we could have defined our nationhood. But we didn't. Why ? Because India has been cursed with feebleness. Not merely of intellect, but also of faith in herself, of belief in her history. Her spirit is emaciated. We feel this malaise but unable to cure ourselves take recourse to placebo of high minded rhetoric. For us secularism is the sedative of a exhausted nation, liberalism  as anesthetic for a tortured civilization.

Which is why, India is thwarted by conflicting identities and loyalties, why even thought partition should have vanquished them Mullahs still rule the roost. This is also the reason why even if there were no Ulemas, or even Muslims, the result will be same.

blog comments powered by Disqus