Sunday, March 01, 2009

Grammar Nazi

Rohit laments the massacre of Hindi at the hands of hirsute Punjabis. Colour me unpersuaded. Now I understand why people (including Rohit, and even I) get irked by ungrammatical usage.

Humans are evolutionary hardwired to have preference for rules, this is owing to the fact the a phenomenon governed by rules is predictable thus eliminating any unknown (and potentially risky) behavior.

Having said that ultimately function of grammar is language is to facilitate communication, and as long as speech is comprehensible we should allow for some leeway, esp in case of people who for whom Hindi is second language.

In fact, one of my biggest gripes is some in my friend circle whose first language is Hindi who will tease other friends for Hindi is second or even third language. Now I am not one who objects to mocking among friends, but clearly it is no good when people start  getting irritated. In fact I am always biased in favor of Ashudhh  Hindi because it helps in reminding that manak (standard) Hindi is not the complete range of language and it is a language with broad variations, with even in Hindi speaking states existence of so many dialects ranging from Haryanavi to Magahi. Ultimately language is a dynamic medium, and variation across regions just make language richer, and this included Bambayya Hindi, or "Madrasi"* Hindi.

* No offense is intended, just used to refer to typical south Indian variation.

blog comments powered by Disqus