The nation of comatose
So you believed that reservations in private unaided institutions were off the table. Well, you were wrong . Now I don't think think that at this point Congress is serious about taking such a step, however it may change once this government faces some sort of crisis and needs some sort of diversion. Trust me it has happened before. Anyway the latest episode of "The Social Justice" saga underlines two points.
First, even though I should know better from time to time I keep getting amazed by the gullibility of allegedly educated class. One such instance of naivety is absolving our lady of 10 Janpath and her trusted yes man MMS for OBC reservations in IIT/IIM. The rationalization was it was dyed in the wool politician cynical Arjun Singh who was to blame and not the apolitical (and therefore honorable) duo of sphinx and poodle who were somehow helpless to counter the cynical manipulation of the fossilized Thakur in order to save his ministerial position.
Now even if one were to sweep the principle of accountability or notion of accountability under the rug of compulsion of coalition politics, the inconvenient fact remains that it was well under the power of Sonia Gandhi, even if not of Manmohan Singh, if she wished, to bring Arjun Singh to heel before the issue blew out of the proportion.
That she didn't is only indicative of the fact that she has no scruples playing the quota card, what's more it also tells, should have told at any rate, for Manmohan Singh loyalty to Gandhi family takes precedence over loyalty to India.That this simple point was not realized by the apologists for Manmohan Singh is just a pointer to the rather sorry aspect of Indian society where educated class which is relied upon to uplift the level of political discourse lifts lives in a bubble actively refusing to face the reality.
Second I remember during the IIT/IIM controversy commentator 'xyz' made a comment to the effect that Kalaingar will be content with the reservation in IIT/IIM. Problem with this is Mu. Ka. is just a cog in the machine of social justice. Here I use the term machine on purpose as once set in motion it will keep moving, grinding any obstruction exceedingly fine, unless a way can be found to turn off the machine, or until only fine dust remains.
Which is why I am really grateful that there are people like DataNazi who have persevere in covering reservation. As it happens I agree with him on the cause that set this machine in motion which is a coming together of different identity group to further their interests, however I beg to differ with him on the solution, In my opinion data will not set us free.
