Monday, January 25, 2010

Special Comment: Problem with smart people

Ritwik has written a series (still continuing, I believe) of posts, which are most profound. I say profound because they are boring and I left them midway.

Now it is possible that Ritwik is writing these posts with a very narrow audience in mind, to be specific, people whose knowledge of economics goes well beyond eco 101, in other words people who are comfortable with jargon, in which his is right approach.

 

However in case if he is addressing this to a general audience, which I believe he is, I think he has failed. And the reason he failed is he broke two basic rules of blogging. One people don’t like long winded posts, and second people are turned off by jargon.

 

This is important to remember. Jargon has its uses; specifically it helps in condensing the prose; however that assumes that your intended audience is comfortable with the jargon to the extent that they don’t have to recollect what that jargon means every time they encounter it, or worse look up its meaning.

 

This is why use of jargon should be specific to target audience. Frequently the presenter deploys the heavy artillery of jargon to impress people; unfortunately it ends up confusing them. As a result the all the effort that went in preparing the message goes to waste, a result of picking up the wrong strategy for communicating.

 

PS. Now people may say that just because I didn’t get it doesn’t mean others won’t get it, because I am dumb or something, unfortunately this is wrong, I am <s>smart</s> above average and ignorant (Ravikiran said it so it must be true)

blog comments powered by Disqus