Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thin Gruel

Now admittedly I am not the go to guy for recent healthcare reform in US, considering I was more fascinated with the political theatre than with the policy.

With the necessary caveats dispensed while I am generally disposed towards conservative position, I am left underwhelmed by the argument that mandates are unconstitutional.

Usually the arguments goes like this, “US government can’t force citizens to buy a products. Mandates or fines levied on citizen for not buying insurance policy amount to the same. Hence the mandates are unconstitutional”. This is to me seems like too much lawyering. I am not an expert on US constitution so may be I am getting it wrong, but it is well within legislative prerogative to impose taxes. Mandate in effect is a tax, sure it is discriminatory, but then so is tax credit for children, or tax deduction for agriculture. In its favor thought it is far more credible than Obama being communist.

blog comments powered by Disqus