Friday, June 16, 2006

State & Society (Prelude )

This was supposed to be written earlier. Immediate reason is this post (by Nitin), also read this post (by Confused)

Assuming that you are a staunch supporter of right of individual freedom and think that it should be an inalienable right. Now consider following cases. One condition Don't cite Indian penal code


Case 1. A girl is standing at a bus stand, a man physically assaults her.

Verdict: The man is culprit.

Reason: He has violated the girl's freedom.

Case 2. Same girl is standing at the bus stand, the same biy comes. Instead of physically assualting, this time he passes vulgar and crass remarks at the girl.

Verdict: The man is culprit.

Reason: He has indulged in slandering and defamation.

Case 3. Same scenario. However, this time boy passes lewd and suggestive remarks but they are not personal in nature.

Verdict..... ????*

Reason .......??

Case 4. Girl standing at the bus stand, boy looking at her from his room on the seconds.
Fantasizes about ravishing her.

Verdict.... 50% reservation for girls in IIT)

Reason.... Because nerds with dysfunctional social skills also deserve a chance


* Personally I support kicking the boy's posterior, however I am not a supporter of inalienable right, for anything (I am not particularly brave either), also I do not consider sex as a commodity or some "stuff."

2 comments:

froginthewell said...

Reason: He has indulged in slandering and defamation.

Shouldn't that apply to defaming a religion as well?

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Well, I am not a great believer in freedom, so I am not sure.
However as fas ar I know this criteria is only applied on a personal basis.

Regards