Distorting Casteism : A clarification
Shivam has linked this post of mine, which was a rant cum reply to Gaurav (Sabnis), comment and post here. Let me clarify some points.
1) This is a blog with a strong POV and what is more high biases (allergy). There are better people in blogosphere like Jaffna or JK or Sandeep to discuss casteism.
2) I do not condone casteism.
3) Words have a meaning and a context. So I find it annoying when our educated class uses phrases like racism or communalism or fascism or nazism, without giving any thought , just to slander opposition. This is more infuriating to me because my side is always a target of this demonization. The unintended consequense is that society becomes desensitized to such horrors. Case in point, how in any school or college you will find so many students admiring Hitler
4 ) As i said in the above mentioned post, the reason why atheists and rationalists (almost all of them english educated ) make such a elementary mistake, as the commentator in question did, is because they are dismissive of past, which is not neccessarily wrong, however what is inexcusable is their ignorance.In my view, in order to dismiss something one has to have a knowledge . That it is not done is arrogance and a well known shortcoming of educated elites at any times.
5) Another mistake is projection, Freedom was not always the highest ideal in realm of society and civilization, there was safety and progress, which was possible only with high levels of organization. Another is since the recent oppression were of racial natures (colonization), it must mean that earlier oppressions (like casteism) can also be understood in racial terms. This as I wrote before is because of ignorance of our past. In fact, it is worse because the elites steeped in western ethos are dismissive of the past and can only grasp the history from western (to be more accurate rationalist) perspective.
6) I repeatedly asserted that I was employing M Type arguments. The reason for this is I am not familiar with the commentator. However I am aware of the pervading environment in educated India and therefore can make a reasonable guess.
This means that while the commentator might not have meant it but the inherent bias of secular crowd, which in India is against Hinduism, did work in the perception.
This however is Projection from my side
7) When I say elite, it is not necessarily from monetary resources, but from intellectual resources
8) I tried to post this as a comment, but could not. Reason, I am working on a Japanese keyboard .

1 comments:
What a great site Tumescent liposuction albuquerque High school naturists Shoulder bags that hold pictures Womens cologne fragrance accounting continuing education projector headlights 2000 mustang dental plan http://www.forex-trading-5.info Texas holdem strategy odds Medical terminology pda Adware removal free safe Cheap calling card to hyderabad Chevrolet pickup truck parts
Post a Comment