Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dumb and Dumber

This was dumb,


RSS recipe for strong nation: A Hindu should produce at least 3 kids, even 17, to save demography

And this is dumber

Ban family planning: Puri seer

".....He alleged that family planning measures were proving to be the bane of Hindus who would 'become a minority in India quite soon if these practices continue'...."

As I have written here, this is a unhealthy precedent.

It brings me sadness to find that Seer, who is a intellectual descendant of Adi - Shankaracharya

is saying this .

This kind of thought process is against revival of Hinduism.

Primary Red has related thought

4 comments:

froginthewell said...

I would prefer to have family planning too; infact I want the government to enforce it more strongly, if necessary by infringing upon some "personal freedom". That said I would support the ban on abortion ( except in life threatening circumstances.

Personally I don't think this means seers should be viewed with lesser respect because spiritual advancement may not imply necessarily more sophisticated insights on sociology etc. ( I am not allegeing you showed disrespect ). However I am worried that hindu seers making such comments might amount to their increased alienation from the hindu laity, and the society might become less religious in protest. One reason why Spain and Italy have been more successful than America in staying religious is, I think, is that christians in these countries have greater tolerance towards homosexuals etc.

Thanks for the pongal wishes and wish you the same too. Regards.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

First, aplogies for late reply.

I am also against abortion.

But I disagree that spirituality is disconnected from real world.
In fact, the great sages were great realists, and dharma is about the way to live in this world.

Second coming from a Shankaracharya this was disapponting, in the end it is not the title but the content which matters. And I agree that such remarks will create a schism, will it be bad I do not know.

Regarding Spain and Italy, I will like to write about it someday, till then....

Regards

froginthewell said...

I am not saying spirituality is disconnected from the material ( real? ) world but only that one cannot expect realized people to be necessarily perfect in everything they do. Their intellectual thought may be prone to defect just as they may not be able to create a long jump world record. However I feel they ( realized ) are more likely to perceive things more accurately since they won't be distracted by attachments.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Retro business cards Chicks with big tits Thailand accounting jobs Acyclovir herpes treatments Ex-maritial sex Beatee batch ovens Antidepressant for dogs Antirelay antispam Taking zoloft with singulair baumatic dishwashers results rhinoplasty male Printer sharing problem xp blackjack conditions Computers etiquette ethics Samsung humidifier baccarat variation Cheap xenical prices prozac nation movie script Gmc sierra 7000