Indian Muslims as Leader of Islam: The Danger
While arguing about how Indian Muslims are different, I had linked to this from secular - right and commented that while I was not comfortable with the post , I did find some merit.
However after going through that post again , this time with comments, I have decided to write the reason why I did not agree with idea.
The reason is Ummah . Islam is some what analogous to universalist idealogies in the sense its appeal and domain transcends national bounderies.
Nation being a recent construct, Ummah, in essence was a demarcation line between believers and non - believers.
Ummah is more than a cultural construct , it means a common society ruled by laws and institutions as mandated in Quran and Shariah. Ummah ruled by common ruler and common system was driving idea behind Islamic civilization and establishment of Caliphate , which explains that how in little more than 100 years Islam had conquered vast stretches of territory and what is more important obilerated important and ancient civilizations (Egyptian and Persian).
Later ofcourse Caliphate lost the potency due to rival ambitions of Turks and Arabs and dynastic quarrels and mongols. But even a weaker Caliphate and fringe Islamic powers dominated territory from Arabia to India. The wahabism recognized that this schism as the cause of decline of Islam and hence it was a movement towards going back to teachings of Quran.
Now here it is important to understand this Ummah is one of the fundamental concept of Quran , not only it unites muslims , it also demarcates between believers and non believers.
Why am I repeating this ?
Because when there is a talk of common Muslim identity and Indian Muslims assuming its leadership, unwittingly it is sanctioning Ummah and contrary to opinion of people fond of re interpretations who may like to recast it as a cultural model, it is a much more comprehensive concept spanning politics, jurisprudence, military and sprituality. This means Ummah goes against the concept of Nation- State.
Where this leads to ? Why, to best intentions gone awry ofcourse !
Consider present menance of terrorism, What explains it, (Ignorance) many of the important figures of this movementare influencial and well educated persons, scientists, doctors , engineers and software professionals . (Poverty) again many of them are from affluent families (Palestine) Doesn't explain Bali, Thailand, Spain. So these causes do not explain the current phenomena.
OK now let's become a little bold , it is the Wahabism those stupid Saudis ! but that is the point, Wahabism is about returning to teachings of Quran, *(ray of hope), may be it is that Wahabism is the incorrect interpretation of Quran , let us reinterpret.
Here is the glitch, the assumption that Wahabists who constitute not only persons with above average IQ and education but also who have spent long time in Islamic seminaries are making the wrong interpretations, but we (well meaning persons with no knowledge of Islam) will be able to provide correct (which means confirming to modern standards) interpretations is fraught with error.
And as I said before this problem is not unique to Islam , this is common to christianity also, both being people of book, but owing to different emphasis and history of development Christianity took a different route, not that it doesn't have similar , problem
So if Islam has to rescued, there are two things to be done
1) Reinterpretations are good as an academic exercise (Jews do it all the time), what Islam needs is redefinition, i.e. shun absolutism and exclusive insistence on book. It is difficult, yes
2) To (Well meaning ) , I do not mind if some one is religious or atheist. I also do not mind much whether some one has really given any consideration to this (although I do). But do not under estimate power of religion, religion represent Idea at highest form, the most abstract expression of reason.
What starts as a Muslim identity can lead towards Ummah as easily. 20th century is a prime example of this . Pan- Arabism (which meant arab christians also), gave rise to current menance of Osama. Closer, Pakistan was created by educated Muslims (some of them vainglorious) seeking a identity or to be more precise an idea. Ummah will challenge the notion of nation - state , but this is the best case scenario, worst case scenario is that it will encourage Wahabism , what is more well meaning persons will have no control, being outsider over this process .
I was also disappointed with the ease , validity of existence of OIC was accepted although not endorsed, almost as axiomatic. Pray, when there is no Organisation of Christians Nations or Buddhist Nations , what is the rationale behind OIC. I also find annoying the idea of making India a member nation of OIC. Coming from a secular site , one which I appreciate despite numerous disagreement, it is all the more disheartening.
Almost all I have written is repackaged from Among the Believers and Clash of civilizations.

1 comments:
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »
Post a Comment