Mahabharatha remixed (And Revisiting Morality : In Fraction)
This is a continuation of this and this, sort of .
Crystal blur has hilarious take on epic of MahaBharatha, it could be more funny but for the fact that for anyone familiar with western comedy it is a ground well trodden.
The only problem with this is that this style gets boring pretty soon.
I understand there was some controversy in blogosphere, one which I could not chance upon.
As a self proclaimed prude, let me say that I can stand this. MahaBharatha is too great an epic to be affected by any slander (I do not think there is any slander here, even if there was it would not have mattered)
Great Bong has a post on this, interesting one where he discusses humour in India,
I will in part disagree with him.
He says
"This is where we should use our judgment and our intellect and recognize the difference between humor and actual attempts to hurt us---else if we club everything together, we lose focus and end up looking like hypersensitive fools.You want a real example of where Hinduism was attacked. The movie "Fire"---a vulgar, detestable movie despite the fact that it was about my favorite subject in the world---lesbians.What was the need to name the protagonists as Radha and Sita? There was no humor there. Why was the Sanyasi shown to be suffering from enlarged testicles? No other motive than to show disrespect---again no humor, no contribution to the plot. And the more-than-subtle innuendo that it is Hinduism that oppresses women with the last scene hinting at the two women adopting a different religion---was that necessary in the context of what the movie supposedly was about?"
Problem is what is humour for one is slander for another and as such quite impossible, also freedom will mean freedom to slander also (public institutions and symbols, not private individuals). So while I was not exactly overwhelmed with "Fire" (I just read the review of the movie), I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on.
I think Hinduism should be able to take everything in its stride. But there is something which doesn't help and I will come to it later.
(Here I will admit that I was uncomfortable reading this post by JK, despite it being part of Ramayana. I am not unaware of the language used in the epics , but problem was that Devi Sita is considered Mother (literally), where I come from and I still associate Her with images of Mother.)
That also brings me to important point,
Is intolerance increasing ? I will say yes ! Are BJP/VHP responsible for this ? Contrary to popular view, I will say no (case in point recent controversy over Khushboo). And while this has strong political motives, it is not a particularly well planned exercise contrary to paranoia of elites.
I can try to explain this way, this is collision of two mindsets , India and Bharath,i.e. between different classes, but then why didn't this happen earlier ? After all, there was Protima Bedi doing a skinny dipping on beaches and Zeenat Amaan showing her booty in Satyam, Shivam, Sundaram
I think answer should be socialism, since independence Bharath was well within illusion of socialist utopia, which meant that India (comprising of English school educated elites) and Bharath (the others) never confronted each other.
What happened was well heeled socialites sneered over Behenjis and Bhaiyyajis ,but in cocktail circuits or in pseudo intellectual conferences. The others oblivious to this went on with life.
However in 90's things changed, post Ram Janmabhoomi movement there was a general awakening,crucial roles were played by TeleSerial MahaBharatha and Ramayana, the pivotal role was of introduction of Cable.
While earlier it was possible for middle class to remain isolated from whatever the "vices" of well heeled, after introduction of Cable it was no longer possible and here I think it is proper to say that Morality is in effect a middle class construct, but unlike others I do not see anything derogatory in it. Why? The reason is that Middle class living in Urban India lacks any land or business revenue , the only thing it can rely on is education, to possess the necessary qualification and skills, what is more failure to do so result in severe downgrading of social and economic status.
(In this respect , India is quite different from US where even for those in low stations of life , there is a comfortable level), this necessarily induces more conservatism. As a general strategy conservatism ensures better chances of success. This will also explain the paradox why becoming beauty pageants is a big aspiration in small towns.)
Coming back to the topic this intrusion of technology results in a reaction. What exacerbates this is Asymmetry of power, which means that it is English educated population which has a monopoly on medium of communication, this means that all the media has inherent bias , which is not only against middle class, but also positively derogatory against it.
Am I paranoid here ? I wouldn't like to think so . Growing up as a student in Sarkaari School (Although one of the better ones), I was subjected to jeering occasionally by those from Some or other St's school, what was more alarming however was such behaviour was not only encouraged by the parents of the wards but also approved with a sense of superiority. To me this indicates somewhat of servile attitude.
What this results is, dissonance between the two classes and the result is there to see.
Is there any solution, I think it is possible if instead of mocking middle class as has been the fashion among intellectual classes , a little tolerance and sympathy towards middle classes is shown.
However , I have not yet come up with whether there is rule of thumb for establishing morality.

8 comments:
For me it is the other way round. I haven't seen fire but will take for granted what great bong says the movie has. The rAmAyaNa excerpt JK reproduced is written by the rAmAyaNa-kAra with genuine devotion etc. On the other hand, fire as well as crystal blur's posts exude some kind of contempt ( which also shows how pathetic a lot of American humour is - just uncreative and standard expressions of sexuality is passed off as humour ).
If insulting private individuals is bad, so is insulting a religion or a society. For, typically many people of the religion will be more offended if the religion is insulted than if they themselves are insulted. Hence religious insult can be more mentally damaging.
Frog,
I will agree with you.
In fact, I have been just as furious as you.
And I agree that peer pressure will distort the outlook (In fact, that is my grouse against freedom brigade they conveniently forget pressure of conforming , the fear of being left out).
And yes I do feel offended, but the question is this what can be done ?
You said JK quoted Ramayana with genuine devotion and Crystal was being contemptous. First I thought what Crystal quoted was more of less the authentic version and presnted it in a irreverent way, this is not necessarily american way, in fact folk lore abound making fun of the Gods.
And I was not being smug, my point was that if someone is perceived to be insulting Hinduism it should be countered with contempt.
That this doesn't happen is due to Asymmetry of power and monopoly of english educated on information as I alluded to in my post. In that case the only resort available to masses is violence, but in my view this is not a healthy thing. A long term plan will involve ending monopoly of the atheists from institutions of information disseminations.
Last I do not find your comments offensive, rahter they are informative. So I would rather keep them. Ofcourse last wish will be yours.
Regards
Gaurav, thanks for your kind words. I agree with the "asymmetry of powers theory". But I would be happy if you delete my second and third comments above since I have written hurtfully about someone who might have seen this just as a joke. And I do think it was shameful for me to write with anger; as mAtA amRtAnandamayI dEvi says to be angry is to do revenge on yourself for what was possibly someone else's fault. Thanks and regards.
Frog,
Your wish is granted.
I was thinking about the problem.
I have realized that problem is not that simple.
One of the reason is morality is relative, which means that while in ancient age Valmiki was comfortable with invoking sexual imagery, it is difficult today.
One reason might be that in contrast to ancient times, the private space has shrunk due to increasing communication.
Regards
Thanks.
Another thing that to me seems a possibility is that sanskrit as opposed to the common tongue would have been taught only to people who view things with some respect. There was no reason to be afraid that some day people will start making fun of it. The same for the vEdas. It was possibly for this reason that a lot of sanskrit literature came in due course of time to be kept away from the reaches of so-called backward castes.
Also, as you said, moral codes were different; women did not need to cover their breasts in those days ( something, which I suspect, came after islamic invasion ) - I suppose most of the pre-islamic sculptures did not in general have carvings of women covering their breasts.
I don't mind people saying things with sufficient respect; but I am not very happy with the contemptous casual mocking tone in which modern people write, particularly in a manner that increases the peer-pressure factor by defining the notion of what is cool.
Frog,
I will agree with this.
For some reason people do not seem to realize that along with freedom comes responsiblity.
Regards
Post a Comment