Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My belief in God

All scientific theories, all philosophical models build on some axioms, some fundamental truths which are supposed to be manifest and can not be proven.

Unlike theorems, there is no logical way to arrive at axioms, it can not be deduced, it can only be the result of inductive reasoning, what is more it can only be disproved but never proved, alternatively it can be superseded by more consistent axioms to base the world view upon.

Belief in existence of God is such. For me God is the first cause and God is the last purpose. Our knowledge is limited, so are systems of logic and language. Any human system is not self contained. An outside explanation is essential; God as the cause and purpose gives me that base for humanity.

This is not unquestioned; philosophers have since time questioned the validity of cause and effect as an acceptable scientific or philosophical concept. Many philosophers have argued that cause and effect are just human illusions, a sort of way to rationalize random origin of human intelligence. Others have argued against trying to find an outside agency as the explanation behind existence. Many have remarked, perhaps with merit, that God exists only because humans do. God can not be proved, God can not be disproved. God is outside the purview of empirical science. God is justification for science, morality and civilization.

God can be superseded by another axiom which is more consistent with the human logic.

Nietzsche refuted any claim of cause behind humanity, to him there was no cause behind nature and yet he endowed a purpose of evolution, from fragile man to an exalted superman. Ayn Rand did not even give a purpose, she assigned a value to work, to her the reality was self – explaining, self admitting of no further causes, individual the centre of philosophy.

And yet, despite the sincerity of atheists, the explanations become more and more convoluted and self contradictory. In the end non believers despite dragging God from the pedestal could not elevate another idea. The attempt to establish genetics as the purpose is amusing and sad at the same time, someone is sure confusing medium with the message! The Godless has same future as God-man. My belief in God explains to me the reality.
As an aside I just finished “3001: The Final Odyssey”, one of its interesting presumption is that religion will cease to exist. I do not know whether it will or not, I hope it remains.

Belief in God however doesn’t mean belief in miracles, my version of God is perfectly comfortable with laws of gravity and evolution. I do not find any merit in intelligent design. Nor do I find that idol drinking milk is a sign of God.

God is my version of GUT. God is the final answer to what or why.
My belief is hardly perfect, I am playing by the ear as Yankees will say.

7 comments:

froginthewell said...

Wasn't there some such thing as only those axioms for which are pointed to by some posive evidence are to be accepted ( I thought this notion was related to occam's razor )?

For me, my belief is due to what I hear as experiences from some of my friends who seem to be strong and honest people who seem to practise religion sincerely.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Yes, and is there any alternative AND better axiom other than belief in God ?

Regards

froginthewell said...

May be not, but does that validate this axiom? Models are not to be invented randomly; there should be some positive evidence hinting that such a thing has to be there, say, you must be able to predict something etc. ( as long as one claims to be following the axiomatic logical method ).

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Theories have predictive values
Axioms mean Assumptions, Assumptions can be "disproved", but alas they can not predict anything on their own.

Here I assume that by prediction, you mean prediction of future ofcourse

Regards

froginthewell said...

What I was meaning that in science something would be acceptable as an axiom only if ( not "if and only if" ) it could lead to a theory that has predictive value; it should say something that can be verified by experiment ( thus justifying the inductive reasoning used ).

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog

I agree but Belief in God is not Empirical Science.

Regards

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »