Thursday, March 02, 2006

Cross Border Terrorism

Amit Varma in a recent post discussed the nature of cross border terrorism in Indian sub continent and indicted Pakistani Army for that, while that is correct to some extent, this is a simplification of historical reality. While terrorism did start during regimen of Zia- Ul – Haq, subsequent Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif did nothing to curtail it. A argument can be made that they were helpless before Army, but that again will not be complete truth.
The islamization of Pakistan started during regime of Former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, he was responsible for declaring Ahmaddiyas as apostates his successor Zia-Ul-Haq built on that. The problem, I fear is much more deep rooted in Pakistani subconscious, it is about identity. Pakistan was declared an Islamic Republic and as per the wishes of her founder Mohammed Ali Jinnah, she was supposed to be an enlightened nation. This did not happen, what is more troubling that at present there is no role model for Pakistan either. Sure Turkey is there but Turkey is a “Secular Republic” (thanks to Kamal Pasha Ata Turk), Malaysia and Indonesia is there, they have been tolerant so far. It was to do more with how Islam spread there as opposed to how it spread in India. However even these two countries have veered towards fundamentalism since past few decades.
Problem with Pakistan is that of identity which is different from India, and except for being a Muslim majority nation there is not anything. Since the only reason Pakistan was created was its “otherness”, and its educated elites are hardly fond of Islamism, it is causing stress.

I would say that Pakistani Society is becoming schizophrenic.

Since India and Pakistan have come so far down the road, I am not even in favor of any sort of reunification

Here I must mention that my interaction with Pakistanis is very limited.
The only one I met was when I went to US, and they were all nice people.
However what I said above is still valid.

3 comments:

history_lover said...

It's Zia ul Haq not Jiya ul Haq

doubtinggaurav said...

History,

My bad.
Will correct that

Regards and Thanks

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »