Thursday, March 02, 2006

Future of Society

This is an interesting article relating to the changing demographics (link via Instapundit),
The gist of the article is since the tendency of people with liberal affiliations is to either have no child or a single child; the next generation will be overwhelmingly conservative.

Some points

The article discusses role of patriarchy, since I have not thought much about it, I can not comment about it.

The next generation need not be of western conservatives, it will depend upon the amount and nature of immigration. The concern about Europe transforming into Eurabia may not be that exaggerated.

I think that as much as conceiving next generation is important, one factor often overlooked is the atmosphere for upbringing. Unless provided a protective and nourishing atmosphere the child may have “problems”. That is why I think having child out of wedlock is a bad idea, because it often translates into lack of commitment on part of parents, if I remember correctly researches have shown this tendency of insecurity. Similarly divorces cause a lot of stress.
Similarly child growing up in a family with no social interaction or with a single parent will be more vulnerable compared to another child with more social interaction.

The Indian society is changing. While till previous generation, women were primarily homemakers, now they are increasingly participating in various professions. This calls for a rethink of family structure. May be a return to some form of extended family system and increased participation of fathers will help ensure the stability.

This is the reason I am wary of the people who advocate looser moral norms and permissiveness. My suspicion is that they do not realize the importance of society in continuance and development of civilization.

When people advocate new social values, they do not realize that society is a complicated structure, and without carefully analyzing the reason behind existence of social structures, a case can not be made for any change.
This will explain why I remain wary of libertarians.

Assuming presence of society as a given they argue for practices which unravel the social fabric. And yet it is not so many, if not almost all, civilizations have imploded as a result of withering society.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting post and it is something which advocates of drastic cultural change must think about.Generally speaking, achieving this "balance" in life looks very difficult.

The different stages of life as described in Indian Philosophy when put into practice may help create a more harmonious society.

doubtinggaurav said...

Praveen,

As I said society is a complicated organism,
But people do not realize this.

Regards