Thursday, March 02, 2006

GWB and Indian Media

If anyone were reading Indian news papers (or portals for that matter), he would have found it impossible to miss the ecstasy over visit of US President George Bush. In contrast American newspapers (and even the bloggers) have missed this story or at most given a cursory coverage. Similarly visit of Indian Prime Minister to US is hardly any news.

Now I am not questioning this asymmetry, I perfectly understand that India is nowhere near US either economically or military wise.
As much as I would like India to be a superpower, she is not, what is more there is no guarantee that India will be one is near or far future.
However I do object to the revolting fascination of Indian media. I do not understand for example why the fact GWB will be eating mutton biryani is news. The way Indian media is covering the present visit it almost seems that GWB is a monarch and Indians are his subjects.
Why should media blow by blow account of visit, with such embellishments as how he is awed by India or what he wrote at Rajghat is beyond my comprehension.

When the west stereotype India, we are partially responsible for it.
By dissecting such trivialities in such a earnest manner, Indian media is just showing how a particular group of India suffers from low self esteem.

PS. Atanu wrote about inane obsession of Indian media with current visit.
I do not share Atanu's scorn for GWB, while he is not a Thomas Jefferson, I prefer him over
John "Benedict Arnold"Kerry

4 comments:

froginthewell said...

Has Indians' low self-esteem been stereotyped?

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

I meant to say that low self esteem shown by some among us is also resposible for stereotyping.

Regards

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read »

Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Erectile dysfunction revive rings products Mistakes liposuction Saab 340 for fs2004 http://www.antidepressant-medication-6.info http://www.data-recovery-0.info http://www.hawaiian-car-seat-cover.info Perricone acne diet cheap butalbital