Saturday, March 18, 2006

How the other half bluffs

There is a new sheriff in the town. This guy, he is a tough one. He is here to protect the little guy and kick greedy capitalist’s asses. He doesn’t shoot, he doesn’t use kung-foo or taekwandoo. He vanquishes his enemies by appealing to heart. Brothers and sisters, the new weapon is sentiment and not brute power.

I am joking of course. But there is one site "http://www.theotherindia.org/". Apparently ladies and gentlemen who are behind this feel strongly that there is one other India, there is a different reality, which is being ignored by the entrenched middle class. Of course this is news to me and entrenched middle class, why I was under the impression that barista was a down market thing and every Indian could afford iPod !

Since they feel strongly about the issue, they are absolved from using cerebral matter between their ears. It seems to be unstated belief among them that using brain or indulging in any intelligent analysis is a bourgeois pursuit and therefore automatically verboten. In place of arguments and statistics (tch tch! We don’t talk of stats in polite society!) The visitors are bombarded with anecdotes, each aimed to trip guilt complex in middle class scumbags.

The not so subtle message is, “See while you heartless capitalists are enjoying sinful cups of cream laden mocha, farmers in Vidarbha are committing suicide, your very excitement at economic growth is an affront to poor. Since you have committed the sin of being born in middle class, your only penance is to beat your breast and fret and sing gloomy dirge”. This tricks works in case of majority of people as we are trained, even encouraged to feel guilty. And heavens forbid if someone attempts to ask any serious question, he/she is either suppressing right to dissent or being insensitive jerk (can girls be jerk? I mean girls can’t jerk, can they?).

But if they are really passionate about poor, then why can’t they discuss the policies and programs? If I obsessed over Ayn Rand and imagined myself to be John Galt, I would have said that they were being cute little Ellsworth Toohey (Yes different novels I know! But it is the same difference).

But since I think that Ayn Rand sucks and since I am a coward-capitalist-upper caste-North Indian-HinduNazi-MCP, I can only speculate that they are WMBC.
God have mercy on them.

PS. There were posts on Farmers suicide and poverty line which were slightly better than the rest of blog.
I said they did not discuss policies, but they do. And those policies are more quota, more subsidy, a welfare state, and people dependent on charity.
Of course that those policies have been used since last 57 years and utterly failed in their objective means nothing, because reasoning is a capitalist bitch.

2 comments:

Pankaj said...

Gaurav,

Most of the times, after one reads a great deal of socialist texts, a tendency develops to categorize and think about entire mass of human beings in "categories". So we find a constant harangue against the "middlie classes" or the "rich" by people drunk on such texts; Not realizing that they are reducing people with emotions, dreams, thoughts, abilities for rational analysis and other human abilities into "categories".

Once this thinking is established, the socialist texts then advocate their en-masse murder. Just read Marx or go to http://www.victimsofcommunism.org/ to find out more.

The plain and simple fact is that the haranguers cannot be engaged with. No matter how much evidence you supply against it, they would still advocate the beauty of state bureaucracies running business, ports, hotels, etc, etc, and destituting millions in the process.

Regards.

doubtinggaurav said...

Pankaj,

You have said what I feel, in much better words ofcourse :-).

Nitin,

Well, even though I am a heartless capitalist, I hate when someone points that out. :-)

Regards