Monday, March 13, 2006

Those crazy IITians

There is a theory (proposed by me)which says that those living in boys hostels become crazy, doubly if they happen to belong to IIT.
One example is the word “sexy”, usually used for the fairer half (although some times used for rougher half also), nowadays it is being used as a superlative form of “cool” which itself is superlative form of “hot”. However its application becomes rather confusing in IIT campus.

For example, “neural network, it is so sexy!” or “PerduePurdue is a sexy University” while puritans and punks alike may object to such flagrant abuse of the adjective, nevertheless it is more or less the accepted idiom in IITs.

In my view this occurs because of the severe gender imbalance in ecology of IIT.
A ratio of around 14: 1 (14 boys to 1 girl) means that males live under constant strain of competition for propagation of the genes (this doesn’t mean that any child is conceived in IITs, just that the instinct for mating is very strong and can mostly explain for what is called love).

Those who succeed in finding a suitable mate live under constant fear of being usurped by a stronger candidate while those who fail usually become bloggers or crack putrid sexist joke about feminine form (Atleast I do).

This environment can provide an interesting subject to anthropologists.
This will also make a good documentary for Animal Planet “Alpha Males of IIT”.
(I am somewhere below Omega)

6 comments:

doubtinggaurav said...

"I find many IIT graduates highly unbalanced"

Ahem, well we IITians are crazy but not dangerous :-)

About green card, I think most of Indians (or for that matter "third world citizens") will sell their soul to satan for green card.

I would have done it too, if my soul was not already mortgaged ;-)

Regards

doubtinggaurav said...

Jaffna,

I tried to peddle it to satan, but satan apparently is more disconcerting. So I just sold it to my company ;-).

You have raised an important point and I think I will try to write a post about it.

And no you are in perfectly safe waters :-)

Regards

froginthewell said...

Among Indian graduate students in US I have heard a stereotype that IITians are much less likely to have girl friends. I don't know if that is true but it seems consistent with my observations.

By the way I disagree with the general idea ( heck, whenever I agree with you - which happens almost always - I find nothing to write ) - I don't think having a girl friend or having many girls to interact with calms the fire of lust or helps maintain sanity at all.

There is yet another phenomenon - so many people who have been nearly the top in their class suddenly finds themselves at the middle or bottom ( mainly due to the lack of enthu. to mug ) - this gives them all sorts of complexes.

And as such I find a more liberal country like US more "crazy" in that sense than India.

Jaffna - there are more unbalanced and loyal IIT-ians around, so be careful not just with gaurav :-))

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Hmmm well living in IIT KGP atleast can make you a hermit, being so far from civilization.

By the way, if it isn't too personal are you from IIT Madras ?

Regards

froginthewell said...

Yes, I was in IITM ( how did you figure? )?

I have heard complaints even in IITM from post graduates that the BTechs do not know how to interact with girls. And I heard that about 4 years back or so, when they at IITM made a mess common for boys from certain hostels and girls, one of the ideas was to facilitate interaction between them; but I also heard that the end result was that more and more boys got to "look" at girls, no "normalisation" of interaction took place.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Remembered from long ago conversation on secular right

I think it is very difficult if not impossible to "teach" adults to interact.

Regards