Kissing and Prudishness
While blogosphere has its periodical topics of interest, there is a consistent self righteous indignation over perceived prudishness of Indian society. While not debating the whole issue as such I will like to comment on one subject.
That is of kisses, when traditional people object to kissing in public, the instinct of liberals is usually to term it as moral policing, and giving example of west where kissing in public is acceptable.
There is a distinction in this case between India and west, because while in west kissing has always been a social gesture, in India it has been considered to be intimate.
In west relatives will greet each other by kissing, which is never the case in India where kissing is only reserved for small children. Therefore I think the parallel between west and India is unjustified.
For example while Japan is very much westernized (what with way too short skirts and dyed hair), so far I have not seen any public display of intimacy.
(This is a anecdotal evidence and a poor one at that)
I think there is no absolute rule for this, some societies accept kissing as a social practice, and some do not. It is more of a matter of social convention than any “prudishness”. Ultimately as far as judging societies are concerned we have to consider time and place and even then it can be only a thumb of rule. Any attempt to draw water tight compartments can only lead to slippery slopes one way or another.
Ironically for the short time I was in USA, I came to know that if males were to become too friendly in public they can be considered as “brokeback cowboys”. Fortunately in India there is no such danger of misunderstanding.

4 comments:
Jaffna,
I was not talking about government censure.
Any restriction of freedom by state is a complicated issue and I am still grappling with it.
However I make a distinction between Society and State .
Most of the times social censure is as effective as state censure and a filter for social actions.
As far as Bollywood is concerned, I think as there is a demand for better pictures the director will come with better fare.
Government action can do nothing about it.
As far as nudity is concerned, While I agree with you, vulgarity lies in the eyes of beholder.
So I do not know state can do anything to stop it.
And I understood your first comment.
An engineer has to live with noise and errors :-)
Regards
And about Japan
I have not yet seen it in public.
But I am a poor observer.Mostly I tend to ignore my surroundings.
Regards
Jaffna,
I am all with social critique.
However I am hardly a high brow movie critic. My taste is very modest :-).
I think Naipaul is right to some extent in saying that Indians tend to remain in self contained communities
However what I meant was that I am more like a hermit :-D
Regards
Regards
Enjoyed a lot! Idaho accutane legal fiat stilo 5 door gps order cheap phentermine using mastercard Internet advertising or spyware Gt currency trading Seo help mali unavailablity of provigil Tad is gay http://www.oxycontin-oxycodone.info/Car-cheap-england-rental.html Camera digital underwater video 20 http://www.high-cholesterol-7.info/Cheaprentalcardeal.html ccm hockey
Post a Comment