What Rubbish !
Hey Bhagwaan !
One more survey to measure the rudeness of cities and it places the Mumbai at top !
While I do not think citizens of Mumbai belong to "pehle aap pehle aap" variety (no wonder with crowd like this), in general I found them friendly and helpful in general, taking into account difference arising out of culture specific issue.
What is even more bizarre that the survey finds New Yorkers as the most coordial, since I have never been to NY I can not be sure, but my impression has always been that New Yorkers were reputed to be somewhat "brusque".
Also I think as far as rudeness is concerned Delhi should be far ahead of Mumbai (this from second hand sources, ironically I have never lived in Delhi)
One more reason to take these stupid surveys with pinches of salt.
Update Here we go ! Indian media has started doing what it is best at,
Via rediff Is Mumbai world's rudest city? Tell us
And Slimes (But of course !) Do you feel that Mumbai is the world's rudest city?
Let our latest slogan be "Garv se kaho hum rude hain"
Another Update: Confused clarifies and puts the survey in perspective. More on it later

6 comments:
From among Kochi, Bangalore, Chennai and Mumbai I too find the people of Mumbai most helpful in general - but not necessarily "friendly".
From that rediff article :
The survey used three tests to take stock of the politeness factor -- dropping papers in a busy street to see if anyone would help, checking how often shop assistants said "thank you", and counting how often someone held a door open.
Obviously most of us consider "thank you" etc. as understood.
One problem in Mumbai due to the crowd was that if someone collides with you, that person shouts at you even if it wasn't your fault - but this is because of the crowd and the fac that everyone is in a hurry.
Forgot to add - I quoted that sentence because thereby the survey itself tells you why it is stupid. That is the advantage with modern surveys.
Frog,
I have been told that in Delhi worse things could happen.
I think opening the door as criteria is stupid for the reason it is a west specific custom
Regards
Gaurav,
Its not abour rudeness!!! Check my blog.
Though I share your view about Delhi...
Yeah, I know. The rudest city test doesn't really apply in this context. There was a great rebuttal about it by Suketu in yesterday's WSJ.
Ram,
Well yes
Regards
Post a Comment