Thursday, July 27, 2006

About Frogs

There are many reasons to be sceptical of claims of cross border brotherhood.
The simplest is Pakistan is Islamic republic, call me bigoted but I protest being in relation with Islamic republics. Neighbours yes, brothers my foot.

In case there is distaste over what I said, I hope this will help

Jihad to remain in school books in Pakistan (Via Indian Express)

Stating this, Pakistan Education Minister Asharaf Qazi pointed out that "jihad has many dimensions which also includes self-negation. We will teach students the full concept of jihad''.

And

Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has already rejected a suggestion from moderate Islamic scholars that religious studies should be introduced only after Class V.
While the lower classes would have several aspects of Islam in the curriculum, Qazi said students in Classes XI and XII would be taught the 39 selected chapters that contained an introduction to jihad, its importance and forms in the light of the scriptures.


Now I am not sure about Jihad, may be it means what Osama says, may be it doesn't, but is there any need to teach kids about this stuff! And remember this is not curriculum of Madarassa, prescribed to normal Pakistani school and what an average across the border kid has to learn. What wonder if that kid grows up to suspect India in the best case and hate Hindus in the worst case.

But point is not just Jihad, there is a larger issue.

I believe that religion has a purpose, I believe religious beliefs provides the vitality behind civilization, however I also believe that to even begin to understand the vastness of religion, one needs maturity and circumspection, both of which can only come with wisdom acquired through age and education.Therefore for me the purpose of education is to introduce a child to contemplation and an exercise meant to train the mind.

Indoctrination of the impressionable minds through religious studies can not achieve this purpose, on the contrary it stifles the intellect at best making a child, as ancient* saying goes "a frog croaking in a pond"* *full of verbiage but devoid of intellect, and at worst a mindless lunatic seeking nothing but shiqwah (or injury) in present and nothing but glory in the past.

Therein lies the path to destruction of a civilization.

*Why are all sayings ancient ? Why can't one quote from, for example Indian Idol or Ekta Kapoor Serials ?

** This has nothing to do with the only reader (and commentator) of this blog. Except for the fact that he reads this blog, I do not think there is anything wrong with him.
 
 

6 comments:

Sharan Sharma said...

> the only reader (and commentator) of this blog

you're wrong :)

>Indoctrination of the impressionable minds through religious studies can not achieve this purpose

Did you mean that in the context of teaching 'Jihad'? If that's what is going to be taught then completely agree.

But on the other hand, i went to a convent school but we had a Hindu teacher who used to use any free lecture time to entertain us with her stories from Indian classics/mythology. We had fun but we also learnt a lot from it eg. moral values. And the fact that we were impressionable meant that what she taught has stuck to us.

...and slightly expanding that concept from religion to culture, it is imperative that kids grow up with pride for their cuture. So maybe not a religious studies class but i am definitely for a 'cultural studies' class - as long as it's fun for the kids!

The commies have done enormous damage to our pscyche by preventing our curriculum from including this. All we got is their devious and junk-filled school history textbooks. A product of that education , for eg, are those pseudo newscasters/journos who take great pleasure in belittling our culture.

And the commies have even taken the fight overseas. You're of course, aware of the California textbook controversy where Hindu parents were branded Hindu fundamentalists/terrorists when they asked for the representation of Hindu culture to be corrected!

doubtinggaurav said...

Sharan,

Well that was the ruse to get you out ;-).

Well about cultural knowledge I will broadly agree with you,although I do think a better place will be outside school for example family or society at large

I was speaking of religious principles and rituals. Why for example a kid should be taught about intricacies of Dweta & Adweta ? His mind is not mature enough to handle it.

Regards

Regards

Sharan Sharma said...

> I was speaking of religious principles and rituals. Why for example a kid should be taught about intricacies of Dweta & Adweta ?

Yes, i agree. Intracies of philosophy should not even be touched. But simple concepts, mythology, CORRECT HISTRY and overall pride for nation and culture.

As you say, maybe that's best done outside of school - but really, Gaurav, i haven't seen that happenning at all. Kid asks dad/mom a simple question on say "why should we visit a temple' and parents themselves don't know so try and hide their ingnorance which totally confuses the kid....and skipping all the steps inbetween kid then joins JNU :)

...and yes, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on 'evil Arjun'!

doubtinggaurav said...

Sharan,

You are right ofcourse,

I support using cultural (and mythological)constructs to illustrate humane values.

Also I think it is the parent fault (or to be more precise that of society)which fails to introduce children to our enviable heritage and inculcating sense of pride in them.

Regards

PS. The evil arjun post was really good

Anonymous said...

i am excited to find a kindered soul.I will comment,if i have something to say,after reading through.

doubtinggaurav said...

xyz,

thanks and welcome to this blog.