Elephants & psychology
(This post is taken from email Conversation with Atanu, apologies for not asking the permission, but I am in hurry and this stuff seems good to me)
Now I think expression "Elephant in the room" is really absurd.
I mean, it is little difficult, even a bit of skill if I may say so to "not" see an Elephant in the room.
I think this is a most muddled phrase ever invented. Why can't people see the damned thing, considering it is a bit of nuisance to have Elephants in your drawing room (or lobby or bedroom *).
Problem is people see Elephants all right, but they deny its existence, all five tonnes of it.
It is a trouble not with the perception, but at a deeper psychological level.
You see the intellect is in right place but psyche is atrophied and stultified.
The resolution to problem of seen but not heard pachyderms then is not to shout about Elephants, but reach the subconscious. Hence the popularity of mob psychology.
* On the other hand it is really easy to put the Elephant in refrigerator.

0 comments:
Post a Comment